Best Choice(s) for Filming

rudy13

not entirely sure, if this is the best spot but, will ask ....

i have been making a few music videos ...me; play instruments / sing...from my phone ( moto E-4), which created problems when trying to get it onto the PC , and do some editing, w/ windows 10 ....so, began using my "older" laptop, to do the same = the video was better, audio not so good, and no port for an external mic, though, was able to get it to the "editing" phase, E Z enough....so now, wondering what other item ; newer laptop, tablet etc, more qualified individuals might recommend , for this sort of use... also, not a lot right now, but doing video calls w/ friends, family, doctors too, will also come more into play as time moves forward ... i was thinking in the < $ 250.00 range....which is not written in stone , but my starting point as of now

thanx all

Get a refurbished desktop. You will save money and you can upgrade to a good sound card. Refurbished means used or returned to factory. And after fixing up whats needs fixing, they must be labeled as refurbished. Good deals are newegg.com

RT

Just an observation, lunarlander mentions a desktop.
That opens the door for upgrades that are easier to make than with a laptop, and you know what a current top of the line phone costs.

Also you must think of your end result - and where and how the video is to be received.
The higher the quality produced, the better.
I've made a few less than stellar videos, but I sent them based on my particular EQ (23' monitor, discreet 2.1 or 5.1 decent full range speakers) and have seen them on my friends phones or laptops and uh... what I've seen doesn't match what I sent.
I invite them to watch in my environment, but it's not worth it these days.

Software is important too, if you edit. You want compression to be minimum and audio as lossless as possible.
Makes for big files, and though I'm saying all this, it depends on how serious you are about making films.

Video and audio quality is important to me, and it pains me to know that what I see and hear at home is not what my friends get on their phones, or on YouTube, etc.
So, I just stopped doing it.
Not that I was any good, but I sure do have an appreciation for those that make good videos from home.
A static photo with good audio simply means a picture paints a thousand words if it sounds good.

Your budget restricts you somewhat, but since you are a musician (like me, days gone by) I'd stress audio quality.
You expressed desire for an external mic, certainly a plus.

Now forgive me for not helping directly, I just had some thoughts, hope my ramble hasn't wasted your time.

rudy13

good points and No Waste of Time ...likely, i did Not convey i'm not that serious about it, and frankly, did not even consider the source where my efforts would then be viewed ...duh ! :cautious: the PC limits the mobility i was considering, and a bit more involved then i would get ...
to simplify, i was thinking a "newer" tablet / laptop was going to have an "upgrade" in both audio and video performance, compared to my 5 yo low-end Acer Aspire E15, or the phone...and was hoping some might have less involved method, to accomplish that ...there seem to be so many products , that it seemed a way to sift thru some via the expertise i see here ....thanx

rudy13

all mentions, thus far, are for laptops ...

some of the reading i've done indicate Tablets, are better cameras :unsure:
does that indicate better video as well ?

it is not as EZ as i figured it would be ( likely, pilot error ) but, i have been able to get the stuff i have done, to my PC where it's more comfortable to do some editing .. ( windows 10 photo )

would a tablet allow that as well ?

texasbullet

Ramon
If you want a laptop you need an i7 processor, 16 gb of RAM or higher, 500 GB HDD or SSD card or higher and it would be much better to get an Nvidia graphics card installed in laptop. If you don't plan to do HD videos possibly an i5 processor may be ok.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online