1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Best cloud provider/service regardless of price

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by itrelated, Nov 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. itrelated

itrelated Thread Starter

Looking for the best cloud provider/service regardless of price.
    What can you advise me?

Important factors:

- Privacy
    - Encryption
    - Great and fast support.
    - Good front end and software.

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

There is no one best cloud provider. It's all about your requirements and your environment. You would be well served if you contact both Azure and AWS (Amazon Web Services) to have a consult. They'll go over options based on what you're trying to accomplish. Be aware, in addition to being charged by the amount of compute resources you use in their cloud environment, but you're also charged by how much data you move in and out of their cloud. If you do move a lot of data in and out, you're going to be in for a shock when you get that bill. A Federal agency went to the could and quickly realized they didn't look at the fine print when they received an astronomical bill.

3. itrelated

itrelated Thread Starter

Do you use cloud? Have you received a shocking bill?

4. zx10guy

No. I don't use cloud services. I don't need to. I host everything I need under my control on my servers in my home. I consult for various Federal agencies and see the issues they grapple with daily. Much of the mandates being pushed down is because cloud is the new buzz word. Yet everyone's definition of cloud is different.

I will always maintain the best use of cloud is in a hybrid approach. Data that can be archived and is not retrieved often is best pushed up to the cloud. Also setting up compute services in the cloud for DR/COOP or for surge support in situations where there is high loading of on prem resources.

5. itrelated

itrelated Thread Starter

Understood!

In my case i am looking to have 1 hard disk, and a cloud clone backup.
    Need to see if this is feasible; otherwise will have another disk for backup and some things on the cloud.
    About the cost, mega.nz offers 4TB per year for 240$. Not cheap but its a lot of storage!

Thanks a lot for responding! Got a better understanding.

6. zx10guy

Just make sure there is no sliding scale on the data you load up or pull out of your cloud storage. This is what suckered the one government agency. They were told it would only cost a few cents per GB to pull data from their cloud storage. But after a certain threshold, I forget what that gate was, the cost jumped up to 25 to 50 cents per GB ultimately hitting the max ceiling of $1 per GB.

I can see the allure of cloud storage for many home users. Just be aware that when you need to pull your data out, you're still under what ever pricing model you entered into and they won't help you move your data to another cloud provider or back onprem (ie your own storage hosted at your residence.)

7. itrelated

itrelated Thread Starter

Got you!

So it's very important to check pricing conditions before signing up; regarding loaded/downloaded data from cloud storage.
    It's like mobile carriers; if you don't ask before, later they will rip you off and once you find out and face them, they will tell, you should have asked and it's your responsibility to know it.

I have to watch out.

8. 737Simpilot

737Simpilot Temporarily Banned

I use Amazon S3 for my website's which is pennies. You could use the FTP client CrossFTP.

You could also use Boxcryptor for encryption.

9. 737Simpilot

If you're looking for disaster recovery, then I would get a large enough external USB HDD or USB pendrive and use AOMEI Backuper and clone to that media on a periodic basis. That's what I do using an external HDD. If my computer gets infected or something else, I just clone back and it's like nothing ever happened. I store the HDD in a fireproof safe.

10. itrelated

itrelated Thread Starter

@737Simpilot

So you have cloud backup and external HDD backup?
    The safe is a good idea if i don' get cloud. If i do i don't think i need it.

11. 737Simpilot

No. I use Amazon S3 to host attachments on my site, and I use an external hard drive for my computer that I clone to using AOMEI Backuper.

itrelated likes this.
  12. itrelated

itrelated Thread Starter

@737Simpilot

Cloning 2TB data to cloud is a bad ideia regarding cost?
    Mega offers 4tb for 240$ a year. They don't offer 2tb.

Their syncing option is awesome, but only problem is that if you forget and delete something on the cloud, it deletes on the PC.

Do you know any cloud offering sync without this problem?

13. 737Simpilot

Not that I know of.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1200182

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice