1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Best Combination Of Security Products

Discussion in 'General Security' started by harshhariya, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. harshhariya

harshhariya Thread Starter

hi guys!!!
    i m not a real pro in computer security area but from what i have learnt through experience ,blogs and all i think following is the best FREE security products combination....
    1) avira free antivirus
    2) pc tools threat fire
    3) comodo firewall...
    i know that for using threat fire and comodo firewall in advanced mode u need some extra knowledge ...but stilll....
    what u guys think...??
    any other good combinations??

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

3. Gizzy

Gizzy

Hi harshhariya,
    Welcome to Tech Support Guy,

you could add a sandbox (Sandboxie) or virutalization (Returnil) app as well to make it stronger

and threatfire you don't really need extra knowledge to use unless you wanted to add your own rules or put it at a higher setting then the default,

but to use comodo's defense+ to it's full potential then you would need some knowledge of a HIPS program.

4. harshhariya

thanks a lot for giving me a suggestion..... are both the products mentioned equally competent in terms of protection they offer??

5. Gizzy

Gizzy

as in both programs you mean sandboxie and returnil? if so then yes both programs are very competent in terms of protection,

I usually use sandboxie all the time and just turn on returnil if I'm doing some thing risky,

but you don't need both if you don't want you could either only use returnil or only use sandboxie, (more of a paranoid thing on my part :rolleyes:)

sandboxie is easier to use because with returnil when you turn it on it virtualizes everything on your hard drive that the os is installed on (usually C: ) so anything you do on your computer won't be saved and to turn off returnil you have to restart your computer,

but with sandboxie when you're done using it you don't have to restart your computer you just empty the sandbox and you're done,

returnil makes your entire os virtual so anything you did or got infected with won't be saved including updates for programs you use,

sandboxie only makes programs that you choose virtual like browsers, email programs, etc, and when you're done browsing you delete the sandbox so if there was anything malicious you picked up while browsing then it gets deleted,

though if you save any bookmarks while sandboxed then they get deleted too there's ways to fix that though through the settings in sandboxie,

it's up to you if you want to try these programs out though otherwise the programs you're using make you secure already,

sorry for the long post just trying to explain the 2 programs. :cool:

6. harshhariya

***which one would u choose amongst 1) avira 2) avast or any other free anti virus solution???
    whats the best combination according to you??
    ***if i go for purchasing anti virus which one should i go for
    1) nod 32
    2) kaspersky
    3)quick heal
    4) pls specify if any other....
    thanks again...

7. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Free AV: Avast!
    and NOD32 as it is heuristic and does not depend on a signature based approach, thus it has a better chance of protecting against a zero-day attack, i.e. on for which the signature is not yet known to the AV community.

Run Avast! in Safe Mode for a full disks scan, but not with NOD32 running when you are connected to the Internet.

-- Tom

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700884

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice