Best config for IDE devices?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Chum

Current config is HDD Primary, CD Rom on Secondary...getting a burner...what should I slave it too?

Hi there!

I say make it a Slave to the secondary IDE controller! However...some burners are picky and want to be on the Master instead of the slave!

Good Luck!

ST

A friend told me that when he had the cd annd the burner on the same IDE cable his copying software didn't like it and he had to change it over. I would put the cd and HDD on one cable and burner on the other. Also I am told that having two HDDs of different speeds on same cable will slow down the faster one. Don't know if this is true of CDs.

Most manufacturer’s instructions say to put it with the CD-ROM on the secondary. But moving your CD-ROM over to slave on the primary is more efficient for data transfer if you copy CDs directly from the CD-ROM. Either way will probably work fine.

Having either a slower HD or an optical device on the primary will not slow the HD. That only occurred with very old systems.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online