Best configuration for 2 systems.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

thedeadghost

Hi,

Guy what ip and subnet mask should we use if we need to connect a notebook and a pc using a crossover cable ? and what network speed should be set ? I mean would it be best left at auto or 100 mbps ?

Thanks for your help.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
You can use any IP you want. I typically use a private/non-routeable address like 192.168.0.0 and set the subnet mask to a class C/24 (255.255.255.0). As far as the connection speed, you can leave it at auto unless you have media issues. Then you could just force a speed and duplex that both computers can talk over.

thedeadghost

Thanks for the help. Can you help me with learning subnetting ? the explanation in the CCNA books seems to confuse me.

Thanks.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Um.. you can't use 192.168.0.0 or 192.168.0.255

You can use x.x.x.1 to x.x.x.254
Yes, if you use a class C/24 subnet mask. Just made a general assumption under this situation that it's known that the .0 is the network address and .255 is the broadcast address.

But your statement is partially true if you use a different subnet mask. A /23 or lower subnet mask will make the .255 address a valid IP address to be used.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online