1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Best cooling options?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SOFwhitewolf, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SOFwhitewolf

SOFwhitewolf Thread Starter

Ok well when building my current computer i kind of blew it on the case and got the wrong one, i should have got one with a little better cooling construction...http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811156180 But anyway well i dotn really want to buy a new case so besides that what is the best way to cool this case? i haev a 120mm in the front but its blocked by 2 metal pieces, and i also have a 120mm in the rear for output, and one 80mm on the side, i really would like to get better cooling in this case, what could i do? Any sugesstions would be great, i would only like to spend around 80 -100 bucks

2. Jones

Jones

Well, first thing is to figure out if heat is a problem in your case. Even with the fan in front blocked, the 120mm exhaust and 80mm on the side should be moving a fair amount of air. What temps are being reported on your motherboard, processor, and video card? That will be a better judge fo whether or not you need more cooling power.

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

One of the most efficient methods of case cooling if you have the room would be to add a "blowhole" to the top of the case. The bigger, the better.

Are you still having a problem with the southbridge temperatures?

4. SOFwhitewolf

Ok well the cpu idle temp is around 45 and the motherboard temp 1 runs 45 to 47 idle and motherboard temp 2 runs 38 to 40 idle and i/o controller, wich is the southbridge runs 65 to 70 idle and the memory controller hub wich is around the northbridge runs 46 to 50 idle, gpu runs 55 idle. Now those are not real high but when i play games wich is all i do, everything gets real hot and it might be "normal" but i would like it to be a little cooler I was thinking of using one of those bay freezers, anyone had any experence with those?

5. euinka

euinka

It all depends on the ambient temperature of the room that your computer is in.
    That case shouldn't be too much of a problem if there is nothing that is restricting airflow within the case, for example messy cables. Move unnecessary cables out of the way.
    The bay freezers are peltier units (if I remember correctly). Those won't significantly reduce the temperatures inside your case and are not recommended.

Here's one thing to try:
    Leave the side panels of your case and measure the temps.
    Then close the panels, and measure the temps.
    If there is little to no difference between the temperatures, then there is no problem.
    If you notice a big difference between the two, then the case is the problem.

6. SOFwhitewolf

ya i have done that and there is a sizable difference

7. euinka

euinka

Is your computer in a confined space, for example a PC enclosure in a computer desk?

8. VAComputerSvcs

VAComputerSvcs

What type of heatsink/fan (HSF) combo do you have? What type of processor is it?

Stock HSFs offer a nominal transfer of heat, thus average computer temps. If you are able to use a Copper HSF in combination with Arctic Silver Ceramique you will probably get ~ 5C lower temps.

Approximate cost (depending on your HSF) is about $40-$60.

9. SOFwhitewolf

its a core 2 duo 6400 and i have priced many hsf but most you have to use other then stock clips to install them, i would like to find one that uses the same 4 push clips as the intel one that came with it

10. telegramsam

telegramsam

I think one problem you might have is forcing more air in than allowing out. What happens if you shut of the side case fan?

And what is blocking the front fan? My server case runs the front fan right over the top of the hard disks--which is a little advantage itself. I can't monitor most of the things you're looking at, but my E6300 runs a pretty steady 42c. That's with onboard video.

11. SOFwhitewolf

i dont know i have tryed everything but no luck , i guess i could try a diff heatsink and fan

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543531

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice