1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Best cpu for laptops: P4 or Centrino?` Vote here and why

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FuzzyWuzzy, Sep 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FuzzyWuzzy

FuzzyWuzzy Thread Starter

Just curious what are the biggest pros and cons of each process (P4 and centrino) when it comes to laptops. Thanks.

List as many as you can and see what kind of debate we have here. Where do you see the future? Centrino desktops? Will P5 come out soon?

2. noremac407

noremac407

Here is my opinion, (as I debated this about 2 months ago). THe centrino has at least one major plus, extreme long battery life. But the problem comes to two things, power and price. Centrinos cost a heck of a lot of money and only clock out at about 2ghz for at least a fair priced one. I decided to go with a p4, 3.0ghz. It definitely has the power I want and still good battery life with a price less of that than a centrino. Even though I have heard centrinos do pack a punch it still isn't cost effective. At least those are my views.

3. FuzzyWuzzy

i see the biggest pros of centrino is the size and lightness. All the tablet PCs and high end tiny small micro sonys are all using centrinos. You can never fit a P4 mobo and cpu in a tiny laptop, just cant be done.

4. noremac407

noremac407

yea, I guess your right, I forgot about that pro for the centrino. But personally, I would rather have more power and slightly bigger, wouldn't you? I mean its not like a 6lb laptop is to hard to carry around, am I right?

5. FuzzyWuzzy

you have a good point. And to be honest with you, Ive had this centrino for 3 days now since returning the P4 3.06 and I kind of regret it. Maybe not so much regret it but just didnt think spending the extra $500 was all that worth the hype.

The pros I like so far. Better battery life than the previous. Only about 30mins more. My previous two had 8 an 12 cell batterys in them giving 2hours for the first and 3.5hours for the 2nd. I dont know why I returned it, stupid me, one of the dumbest mistakes i made.

I do like how its much tinner and smaller and lighter. The previous ones were 8.2 lbs this one is 6.0 lbs. I do notice a difference in the bag when lugging around school all day.

Also, for presentations and stuff, it has Harmon Kardon speakers which are probably theb est speakers Ive heard on a laptop. The ones on the previous models sound like an intercom, what an embarassment I wouldnt even use them. Ive played stuff on these and everyone is impressed with the sound quality. Not a big buying point but its nice to have and know that I dont have to plug in speakers everytime I do a presentation so everyone can hear it well.

Other than that, the brushed aluminum finish on the cover is a nice touchas well.

But the thing is, I dont know if you would care but since I like to be different. Everyone in my school and I mean everyone has the model that I changed (since the school was leasing those out). And no one has centrino here or even silver cover laptops. Once I pull it out, its definitely a head turner. People think its so pricey and ask how much it costed me, just from the looks.

But ya, I dont think its worth all the hype really. I wish I could get my old P4 3.06 gig back considering the battery was about hte same and cheaper too.

What a sad day for me =(

my parents bought it for me, and Im not even happy with it. =(

6. FuzzyWuzzy

the 2.8 p4 i first had i could mustard out 2hrs tops. 2nd p4 3.06 i got 3hours maybe bit more. Now with centrino Im getting about 3-330 and im sure i can get alot more if i run less stuff in the back like drivers and stuff.

if toshiba didnt litter the startup then im sure i could get alot more time out of it.

7. FuzzyWuzzy

oh and another thing is once i heard this centrino had a dedicated video card and not onbaord that convinced me even more. So thats one of the bigger bonuses. better video and wayyyyyyyyyyyy better sound. gotta hear to believe.

8. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

First off, 40% of the power a laptop uses is powering the LCD. Therefore if you set the power options to turn off the LCD when you stop using it, you'll save alot of power.

I went with a 3200+ AMD 64 in my laptop.. Get's about 2 1/2 - 3 hours on the 12 cell battery. The big plus is that microsoft has released a trial of 64bit windows that runs on it. The other plus is computing power and decent 64mb video. Haven't done benchmarks using the 64bit windows, but I can tell you, "it's FAST". I believe the laptop 5400rpm hard drive is holding it back though. I'll be replacing it when I can.

The big con is that my laptop weighs in at about 5.5 lbs. It's no lightweight.

9. FuzzyWuzzy

today i got a little over 3hours with the lcd on the highest setting.

10. ArcticMarine

ArcticMarine

I can tell you what intel's rep told me. Centrino is lighter and thinner, has a longer battery life, and has performance comparable to the p4. The p4 is used for desktop replacement systems, you pretty much want to have it plugged in at all times. It runs faster and is better for gaming\multimedia, but it weighs up to 13 pounds and only has about 2 hours of battery life. The centrino weighs about 6 pounds and can have up to 7 hours of battery life.

11. Borhan

Borhan

hi i think the answer is........ACCORDING TO YOUR NEEDS

if you travel alot and need your notebook in your travelling=====> Centrino.

if you want a pc replacement solution====================> P4.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275811

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice