1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

best cpu for the cash or should i build?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Treasurerat, Oct 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Treasurerat

Treasurerat Thread Starter

looking to upgade to another system..i see all the ads and deals each sunday in the newspaper supplements...what i am looking to do..is have a decent speed prossessor pentium...excellent graphics and sound...nice hard space drive for possible gaming with alot of ram........i was looking at the dell 5100 media...but i dont want a bunch of software and usless bells and whistles either...win xp would be fine as the os...is this possible with a purchased unit?..or am i better off building my own up? ....if you care to list what is in your sys and let me know how it works out for you i would greatly appreceiate it...i would be running an ethernet card for cable modem...thanks

2. Jones

Jones

I'd build.

You sound like you want a real performance machine, with no extra junk. The only way is either a custom-built (more money, but easier) or a self-built (less money, more challenge). If were you, I'd build it yourself. It is inherently satisfying knowing you built your own pc from scratch. Just pick the pieces you want from places like Newegg.com, and cross reference everything to ensure compatibility.

3. Treasurerat

Treasurerat Thread Starter

yes ..power with no garbage.....winter is coming and i want to have this by then to play with......thanks for the site direction

4. Jones

Jones

There are more sites too. If you're in Canada, Newegg won't ship there. ( I'm excessively dissappointed in that, as I would very much like to use them). Another alternative is TigerDirect.com or .ca, and Xoxide.com for accessories and mods.

There are plenty more, but those are the ones I check out regularly.

5. inuyasha320

inuyasha320

if you go dell, you will have problems.

they come with so much junk that the pc is slowed to a crowl.

build your own pc

a lot faster and you cam msconfig tweak which will give you like a extra 10-20 FPS with out overclocking and your pc will poot up a lot faster.

PS dell uses the lowest quality parts

a dell pc doesnt allow you to change bios settings for extra speed.

so if you get a dell, you will be loosing a good 800MB/s memory bandwidth.

6. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Another question would be are you confident enough to build your own system, and how much are you looking to spend.

And are you hell bent on a Pentium system, you can get better performance for less by going AMD.

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

8. Mulderator

Mulderator

And the AMD 64 is the preferred choice processor for gaming. Although I'm not sure the better performance for less holds true on the high end processors. For sure you can better performance for less when in the lower cost processors--they beat the hell out of the Pentium lower cost.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/404861

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice