Best Distro to set up as a web server?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Big-E

I am also new to Linux, but will make it a learning eperience. I already know how to navigate UNIX and such, so I have some skills..but not much. So nothing like Slackware would be for me yet..just nothing that requires to much work with the shell..suggestions?

I've come to like Fedora Core myself. The latest version, 4, includes MySQL 4, Apache 2 and PHP 5. With that said, you can also use XAMPP, from Apache Friends on just about any distribution.

Big-E

linuxphile said:
I've come to like Fedora Core myself. The latest version, 4, includes MySQL 4, Apache 2 and PHP 5. With that said, you can also use XAMPP, from Apache Friends on just about any distribution.
Thanks, I have a copy of Fedora here I was going to install awhile back..just haven't gotten around to that quite yet. I believe its Fedora Core 2, they came out with another one didn't they?

A good server and/or gateway based distro is www.clarkconnect.com

Very easy to administer and includes most common services, including Windows compatible utilities. (Samba)

It's based on Fedora.

I like Slackware . You can do a clean install and have Apache, MySQL, and PHP, and iptables (firewall) configured and running in under an hour.

tdi: maybe if you have prior knowledge. I know i sure as hell wouldnt wanna be setting that up on slack even now.

Im not talking from a technical ability view point, I'm talking about from an effort factor view point. Every time you install ANYTHING on slackware you get 8 dependencies which each have an average of 4 more dependencies, which then have 6 more.. i can keep going...

i'm just saying doing it under slack, unless u already knew what u did and didnt need i dont think u could have everything setup in an hour.

I agree that compiling software on slack can be a pain but remember it is not meant to be a distro that runs bleeding edge software. It's meant to be stable, and secure. That is why version 10.1 still runs a 2.4 kernel.

If you want bleeding edge, or a desktop distro, get Ubuntu or something. But for servers, it's either slack, or a bsd.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online