1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Best DIY Home Secuity Kit

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by lexicon, Jun 19, 2017 at 12:26 AM.

Advertisement
  1. lexicon

lexicon Thread Starter

Hi friends.
    I was thinking of securing my home in quick and easy way
    I want-
    1) Wirefree Cameras Outdoor (Not Even PoE)
    2) No Monthly fees
    3) Easy to install
    4) Record videos on my own network (not in cloud)
    have been looking for the lists below
    https://getsafe.com
    http://simplisafe.com
    https://goabode.com
    If you guys have any good experience with any of these or others, please let me know.
    Thanks
    Lexi

2. Sponsor

3. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor

Sounds like you want a security camera system and not a home security system (ie siren, call back to central monitoring station, motion sensors, door contacts, glass breakage sensors, etc.)

For your first point, how do you expect to get power to the cameras if you don't at least have a wire to supply power? Going with a battery operated camera is going to get old real quick dealing with recharging of the battery and battery life with both how long it'll power the camera and how long the battery itself will be viable.

Easy to install is relative. I haven't ever installed an IP camera system and did the system I have now on my own.

The system I have is from Hikvision. I currently have 5 cameras on the system both indoors and outdoors. The outdoor cameras are IP66 rated which means they have been tested to endure outdoor environments. They all feed into a NVR which captures video from motion detection onto a 4TB drive. I have set up the system to be accessible via a VPN tunnel from outside my home. Access to video for both live view and recorded are either through a web page or mobile app.

Here's a site with the best IP camera reviews on the web:

http://www.networkcameracritic.com/

I used it to prior to settling with the Hikvision cameras I have now.

lexicon likes this.
  4. lexicon

lexicon Thread Starter

Thankyou for the information yes battery operated cameras are pain i never thoght of that instead of NVR van software like zoneminder be used for recording to NAS which one is better or there purpose is totally different?

Sent from my SM-N920G using Tapatalk

5. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor

The cameras from Hikvision can be pointed to a NAS for saving video files. Some of the cameras have a micro SD slot to allow saving of files that way. The NVR I have is also from Hikvision. What this gets you is the ability to configure the cameras from one central spot and allows me to view all the camera footage both live view and saved from the mobile app.

I don't know anything about Zoneminder. A friend of mine told me about Sighthound. I downloaded the software but haven't had a chance to try it out. He likes Sighthound because of the intelligence it has to recognize objects in the video feed. You can set rules up to start recording when it sees a human or an animal. The other motion detection systems are basic as they key on changes in the video target zone.

Getting back to the power situation for the cameras, you can kill the battery in short order if the camera has any decent IR emitter for night vision or if the camera is IP66 rated. The turrets I use on the outside of my home have a heater element in it to keep the camera at a certain temperature if it's too cold out. I can actually feel the warmth of the camera when I had one in my hand powered up. These cameras have been on my house for about 2 or so years with no issues....from driving rain to blistering summer heat to the deep freeze of winter with snow and ice.

6. texasbullet

texasbullet Ramon

7. lexicon

lexicon Thread Starter

Yes, wired security cameras are far more better and reliable than wireless ones...
    I just wanted to avoid the hassle of extending cables to each and every camera..
    May be i should think again..
    Thanks

8. lexicon

lexicon Thread Starter

9. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor

Well for wireless cameras, you still have to supply power. For indoor purposes, the wiring for wireless cameras is lesser of an issue due to being able to find a power outlet somewhere near where you want to set up the camera. That's part of the reason why WiFi cameras are an option. I use the same indoor camera for a baby monitor as it also has 2 way audio capabilities. In my daughter's room there is an Ethernet drop there but where I mounted the camera, I just chose to plug in the camera to a wall outlet.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1191694