1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Best download manager

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by rob27, Apr 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rob27

rob27 Thread Starter

Please could anyone recommend a free download manager - I used to use flashget but am sure I read somewhere that it comes with loads of spyware.

I need a download manger as I have a dialup connection and need to download a large file in stages.

Thanks for any help

2. Sponsor

3. smeegle

smeegle

4. busboy

busboy

i am running download express and find it to be ok found at downloads.com

5. q_ethics

q_ethics

6. DCM1519

DCM1519

I keep going back to the free version of "Download Accellerator" (DAP) after trying many others.

Maybe because I am familiar with it but it works well and is constantly being improved.

It does have some small adds on the pop up window but they are not bad and you get used to them. I cannot even remember what any of them say.

7. smidgen

smidgen

8. j_hallgren

j_hallgren

I've used both MetaProducts DE (my primary one) and StarDownloader (secondary) for over a year...never had any real issues with either...HOWEVER...in quite a few cases, neither works for some convoluted (typically PHP) links to download files...I have had to use the "if your download doesnt start, click here" links to cancel the DL that starts without my manager, and then get it via that option...in some cases, I have still had to use the plain built-in IE version..

I would definitely recommend MP DE but having more than one is also good idea. Haven't found any spyware/ads in either one.

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

I've tried tham all, believe me. They all work, but there were problems with some recognizing what links were download links, especially if javascripted, php, or asp. Download Studio, Mass Downloader, FlashGet, Fresh Download, LeechGet, DownloadExpress (simple version of Mass Downloader), Internet Downloader, NetVampire, Star Downloader, InstantGet and most others suffered from this problem. Microsoft's downloader works best of all, but is hard-wired to download only from microsoft.com addresses.

I'm back to DAP 7 and really think it works the best for me. FlashGet would come in second, but that occasionally got unregistered somehow and let in a flood of ads. FlashGet was also classified as "spyware" by many scanning apps, including Microsoft's.

10. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

I'm running FlashGet 1.3 and even though some programs classify it as ad/spyware I haven't found a better download manager. and I've tried most of them.

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    GetRight is the one I use. Easy for beginners too

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/354632