Best DVD Player programs for Win 8.1?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mygenericemail

For some reason the Cyberlink video player program that came with my Win 8.1 pc isn't working anymore (and their "tech support" is nothing more than a sales gimmick...there is NO tech support for this garbage).

Windows Media Player has been changed to not play DVD's for Win 8.1, so I cannot watch DVD's on my pc anymore.

I have tried all the "free" DVD player programs, and they either do not work at all, or they show on the screen as as a vertical line about 2-3 inches across....it will not go full screen. I have emailed these "free" program companies about the problems and only one of them has ever responded, but not with any resolution to the problem.

Here are the "free" programs I've tried...
  • VLC media player
  • KMPlayer
  • 5KPlayer
  • Media Player Classic
  • Nero 2016
  • DVD Shrink
  • DivX
There's been a couple of others I've tried, but don't remember what they are.

I don't care if it's a free program or a purchased one, I need a good DVD player program that will work with my Win 8.1 pc....AND has good tech support.

Also, would like to keep the price around $40 if at all possible.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited:
Of that list...most are burning/coping/cloning software. Your windows 8.1 should have Windows media player....and you can just use that to watch your DVD's with.

If not you can go to the windows store and get the app version for $14.99. MS has if for windows 10 but not sure if it's available for 8.1

mygenericemail

Of that list...most are burning/coping/cloning software. Your windows 8.1 should have Windows media player....and you can just use that to watch your DVD's with.

If not you can go to the windows store and get the app version for $14.99. MS has if for windows 10 but not sure if it's available for 8.1
Windows Media does not play DVDs. MS stopped putting that feature on the media player and you have to pay over $100 for it separately, which aint gonna happen.

plodr

Liz
If VLC doesn't work on your Windows 8.1 computer to play files (audio and video) then either a) something is wrong with your computer or b) the files are corrupted.

they show on the screen as as a vertical line about 2-3 inches across
I grew up with tvs with tubes in them and CRT monitors. When the display went to a thin line there was a problem with the vertical or horizontal controls.

If the picture still doesn’t fill the entire screen, it may be due to various possible reasons:
- Different video formats (aspect ratio) of DVDs that you are playing
- Configuration settings of the graphic card installed in the computer
- Configuration settings of the monitor

If it still doesn't work, my advice: buy a cheap standalone DVD player and attach it to a tv.
The newest one we bought cost in the ballpark of $20-$30 and even allows me to put in a USB stick and watch videos that are on that.

mygenericemail

If VLC doesn't work on your Windows 8.1 computer to play files (audio and video) then either a) something is wrong with your computer or b) the files are corrupted.

I grew up with tvs with tubes in them and CRT monitors. When the display went to a thin line there was a problem with the vertical or horizontal controls.

If the picture still doesn’t fill the entire screen, it may be due to various possible reasons:
- Different video formats (aspect ratio) of DVDs that you are playing
- Configuration settings of the graphic card installed in the computer
- Configuration settings of the monitor

If it still doesn't work, my advice: buy a cheap standalone DVD player and attach it to a tv.
The newest one we bought cost in the ballpark of $20-$30 and even allows me to put in a USB stick and watch videos that are on that.
Yeah, I know......old TVs and monitors were a hell of a lot easier to adjust than these new tech pieces of crap.

I got rid of my tv YEARS ago, along with cable...because I can watch anything online and on my pc. And until recently, I haven't had any problems with watching my DVDs on this pc. Im not wasting money buying a freeking tv just to watch DVDs.

Theres got to be a DVD program out there that will work with Win 8.1

Windows Media does not play DVDs.
Crap....your right....it's Windows Media center......which I still have. Works well with Xbox 360 to watch movies either from DVD on my PC or downloaded or vice versa.

Back to your issue; Some DVD burners come with software that allows you to play movies. Mine didn't as it's just a run of the mill OEM style DVD burner that I paid $15 for. You may want to look into that and see what that software is and see if it's sold separately.

mygenericemail

Cyberlink is the one that came with the pc and stopped working (read orignial post). A HUGE scam! NO tech help what so ever, all they do is try to sell you the new piece of garbage they are pushing. Will NEVER use their garbage ever!!!

Nero is out of my budget range, except for the home media package. Thats inside my budget limit. I will try that one out. I dont need all that other stuff, I just need a DVD player program that works with Win 8.1, and it says that this one does.

Thanks

Last edited:

Oddba11

Jim
If it came with Windows 8, it's an old version of the player. MOST companies won't/don't support software that is versions old. I've not dealt with their support as I've never had the need, but their typical response is to have you upgrade to the latest version. If you already have the latest version, then yes, they offer traditional support. This isn't limited to just Cyberlink, many other companies have similar policies. The current version is 16, what version are you using? What exactly are you seeing when it doesn't work and/or what error are you getting?

As noted above, VLC should work on ANY PC. VLC is a standalone program that doesn't rely on other video codecs or applications. It's a benchmark test for when other software doesn't work. So if it's not working, there are other issues which need to be resolved.

KMPLayer and MPC are also standalone players. The same applies here as noted above for VLC.

Also, in regards to "full screen", it will vary based on the screen resolution and the video format (ie: 4:3 or widescreen). You will typically get black bars on both sides or top and bottom depending on the video format. Having the window border, seek bar, etc. visible when in full screen mode varies from player to player, but most allow these items to be removed/hidden in the player config.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online