Best, easy-to-learn scripting language

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gamewolf

I have heard both Python and Ruby are the best and easiest. Are there any others that are good? Which one is the best? Also, what are some limitations of each? I would like to make a simple game, or at least, have a scripting language along with C++/C#. Thanks.

I've messed with Pike before. I like it because it's almost like a dynamic version of C++. However, I haven't programmed in it enough to say anything about its faults.

I do like the syntax for splitting a string though. You just use / to, divide a string. Kind of neat.

I've messed with Lua and Tcl, but if you want anything class-like you have to set up a module + namespace / package and do some weird stuff. In Lua, it's not that bad and is pretty straight-forward (after figuring out metatables), but in Tcl, it's funky and no fun. I guess one shouldn't force the class idea in Tcl so much though.

As for Ruby and Python, they're both cool and are both pretty easy to learn. But, Ruby isn't really interesting to me when I have Python.

So, I like Python the most and it's pretty easy to load windows dlls and other windows stuff. As for games though, I can't say from experience, but c++ together with Lua seems to be where it's at. Of course, there's http://www.pygame.org/wiki/about

gamewolf

Ok, for now im going to use Python. But I am very interested in Pike, so I will probably keep that in mind and check it out in the future. Thanks for all the tips.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts