1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

best EVDO Router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rkowatch, Apr 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rkowatch

rkowatch Thread Starter

Alright... so I am getting set up with verizon EVDO wireless service within the next couple of weeks i've researched... not that i have much choice in broadband service, but it's what i've decided to go with, the modem i'll be using will be the UM 150.

although i've a couple of questions for people who have used this service and modem, my biggest one is what is the best router out there for it (i would prefer one with a minimum of 2 ethernet ports)

thank you in advance

Roman Kowatch

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Why are you getting a USB modem if you want to use a router?

4. rkowatch

rkowatch Thread Starter

because all that verizon offers is usb and notebook/laptop cards, and i don't have a laptop... and in the case that the router dies or just isn't agreeing with things i wanna be able to shrug, unhook it from my router and plug it into my pc directly no hassles...

i need a router if i'm using a usb because i'm planning on getting my other computer running again and i want to be able to have acess to both of them without hassles... and i wanna buy a laptop in the next few months as well... on top of the fact that i may use it ocasionally for my xbox..

5. zx10guy

Actually, I wish I had opted for a USB connection card instead of the Pantech PC Card modem I have now. In addition to better flexibility in usage, the guys at EVDO Forums have done some testing where they were able to get connections with the USB modems. It dealt with moving the modem away from the PC using a USB extension cord to isolate it from the RF being generated by the PC.

6. JohnWill

You can get a PCMCIA adapter for a desktop machine and solve that issue. They are compatible with the cellular routers that are readily available. :)

7. zx10guy

You can also get an Express Card to PC Card adapter so the Express Cards can work in either a laptop or router equiped with a PC Card.

8. JohnWill

This is also true. ;)

9. rkowatch

rkowatch Thread Starter

why would i want an adapter when i don't need one...

several companies make routers for this particular modem...

and i'm not gonna get a notebook card for the fact that BMI (whom uses verizon wireless to sell to thier customers contract and obligation free) the companythat i'm going through offers the service with an option of two usb modems...

if i were to want a notebook card i'd have to go out and buy it to use it with thier service... and it's wastful when they are perfectly happy supplying me with one

10. JohnWill

If you can get a router for that particular modem, that's your answer. What company makes a router that interfaces with a USB modem of any kind?

11. zx10guy

12. rkowatch

rkowatch Thread Starter

i've done some reasearch on it all already and there are several companies that make them for this modem... (both alltel and verizon use it so it's been distributed to the masses}

from what i hear the best to go with are the cradlepoints but sometimes you need some unbias opinions which is why i asked ya'll

aperantly you are all lucky enough to have very little need for evdo :p

13. rkowatch

rkowatch Thread Starter

lmao... just googled um150 router, and found a forum listing... thought it might be usefull...

and it was this one... thought you might find it worth a chuckle

14. zx10guy

No I use it exclusively when I'm in the office. I just don't use it with a router. I may in a future date to have as a mobile network plugged in to my car.

15. JohnWill

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/705108

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice