1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Best File Recovery software

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Thrillho1, Dec 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thrillho1

Thrillho1 Thread Starter

Yesterday my computer froze, so I restarted but couldn't get Windows 10 to load. Dell service desk could not get it back up, so had to do OS Recovery via system restore. This fixed the problem but of course my files on the C drive disappeared (I use dropbox for my important photos, etc., but still have some files on my C drive that I need back).

Are there any good recommendations for file recovery software? Preferably ones that keep the original file name when searching? Out of the few I tried, "RecoverIt" seems to be the best, but I'll have to pay about $40. Doesn't seem too bad of a price. Just wanted to make sure there weren't others that were preferred.

Thanks in advance!

2. tecknurd

tecknurd

Running any recovery tool on a drive that is about to fail is a no, no. It's best to clone the drive using tools like ddrescue or dd_rescue to another drive. Then run data recovery on the clone drive. These are Linux utilities. Depending on the drives condition, it may work or may not work. Understanding about Linux will help and being comfortable of the command line helps a lot. Utilities like testdisk and photorec can be used but they won't preserve the file name. They reconstruct the files. Both testdisk and photorec should only be used if chkdsk or fsck couldn't fix on the clone drive.

I strongly recommend take the time now to come up with a plan to do backups. I use robocopy.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1220597

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice