1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Best Firewall for gaming??

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by AZAREAL, Nov 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AZAREAL

AZAREAL Thread Starter

I will be getting a DSL connection in the next two weeks and plan to do a bit of online gaming. I was wondering what firewall do you find better suited to gaming connections between the free Zonelabs, Norton's firewall, and Mcafee. Any suggestions you have are welcome. On another note I have heard of some problems running Zonelabs on XP and wonder if I should just purchase a product. (its AOL DSL by the way)

My system Athlon 600, 512mb ram, Wintek Geforce 2 GTS, SB 512, 12x10x32 CDRW, 6x DVD, Windows XP home

Thanks

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

I recommend Zone Alarm in any application... especially where you may be more likely to be hacked!

There is a free version & a pay Pro version...

You can go to the site by clicking here!

Savvy :)

3. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Not to step on anyones toes, but the free ones are just as good and sometimes better. Tiny Personal Firewall is another free on but it is said to be a little more difficult than ZA. Some swear by Norton and my advise would be to avoid McAfee.

4. $teve

$teve

yep......i use z/a....its on all the time and i play quake on-line quite q bit..........had no probs at all.
    EXCEPT.............im crap at quake,it didnt help me there at all.
    maybe i should try TINY? :p

5. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Keep Z/A and play checkers. :D

6. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

I also have the free version

7. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

I knew that. :)

8. JuanBoy

JuanBoy

Hi There

I use a freebie called Sygate Personal Firewall which seems to do the trick well. I have used ZoneAlarm but I find it a little too system resource hungry.

Worth giving ago http://www.sygate.com/free/spf_download.htm

9. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

but is it as reliable as zone alarm?

10. JuanBoy

JuanBoy

Well I can only speak from personal experience. I have had no problems with it over the last 6 months. I realise ZoneAlarm is supposed to be 'The Boy' but there was a noticeable slowdown in my systems performance.

11. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

I was curious is all... There are a few good ones out there. Most aren't free though.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59993

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice