Best Firewall to date?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Muffy7

What is the absolute best firewall...

or a list of the 5 best, doesn't matter whether freeware or if i have to buy it...

thanks!

It might be helpful if you gave some parameters...for a network or home computer? Windows or Linux?, etc.

Stoner

Banned
On my Mom's laptop with XP Home, there is a Linksys firewall router and Norton 2002 with the MS firewall turned off.

Has worked well with no intrusions since it went online over a year ago.

I think the firewall router is better than a software firewall, but I like a machine to have more than one layer of protection, so I use both.

Muffy7 said:
What is the absolute best firewall...
or a list of the 5 best, doesn't matter whether freeware or if i have to buy it...
thanks!
Hi Muffy7,

Go here to check out the firewall leak testing from an independent firewall testing service: httP://www.firewallleaktester.com to find out the answer to your question. No hype, just the facts! Use the Tests link in the left-hand panel. Results are current to Oct 2004. Read the Advice link webpage.

Next, consider that the best security strategy which includes a firewall is a multi-layered strategy that has both a hardware firewall and a software firewall.

The two most important capabilities that are required as a minimum for a firewall are:
1) stealth all of the computer ports - this is worth its weight in gold if it keeps the cracker's port probe scanners from detecting that there is a computer behind your IP address.
2) notification of outbound connection attempts that a call-home trojan would make to the trojan author after penetration of your sytsem, and stealthing of the trojan rootkit and/or replacement of your executables with rootkit versions that take over your computer. Only you the computer user can Allow or Deny the connection attempts. Windows Firewall does not have this capability.

That said, a highly skilled trojan author can bypass any firewall with impunity.

Then there is, of course, the ubiquitous anti-virus (AV) software, followed by the anit-trojan software, intrusion detection software, intrusion prevention software, anti-keyloggers, process protection software, etc.....

Good luck,

-- Tom

Hi Muffy,I've tried all available except Nortons & McAffee which are still in the boxes,
after advice from Gizmo about Multi layered security(GRG-Shields Up)I've got Zone Alarm Pro,XP firewall enabled & port blocker.No conflicts,stealth mode,no leaks &
passes all the on line tests.AnalogX supplied the port blocker & also a really good
ping utility which doesn't use the resources of Trace Route but does the same job.

i've been using mcafee for a couple years with no problem...but thats just me.

I have XP-Home. My cable goes through a D-Link router.
It must be doing a great job.

I have Zonelab's firewall installed and XP's turned off.

It has only had 35 hits in the past month. Like I said, sounds like the router is doing its job.

Terryl said:
If you have XP SP2, why do you need another firewall ?
Terry,

If you have XP SP2, i.e. Windows Firewall, what you do not have is outbound connection protection in the form of notification alerts such as a call-home trojan would attempt. Windows Firewall is an inbound only protection firewall.

I run ZoneAlarm Free which stealths all of my ports from cracker port probe scanners and notifies me of outbound connnection attempts. For example, if a trojan were to get in and install a rootkit and mask its code by embedding it in Windows Explorer, and Windows Explorer makes a subsequent attempt at an outbound connection - I would be alerted to either Allow or Deny the connection attempt, and I know anyway that there is NEVER any reason whatsoever for Windows Explorer to make such a request - however, the unsuspecting normal user with no care of their own security would probably Allow the connection - I would not!

I also run PC-Cillin anti-virus software from Trend Micro which has its own light-weight firewall which in combination with ZoneAlarm Free keeps me fairly well protected - not bullet proof, but enough, so far, to keep the crackers away.

-- Tom

well done lotuseclat, i agree with you all the way. a firewall is pretty much usless with out outbound connection protection (system monitoring). I happen to be a fan of the symantec premier 2005 suite. Some say it is a resource hog and alittle too independent, but it works great. I also recommend getting a router with a firewall. Putting yourself behind a router is a good firstline of defense, along with configuring the hardware firewall to block certain types of incoming request and such. netgear and linksys I recommend. some swear by d-link but i've seen too many firware issues with d-link.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online