1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Best Firewall?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Peaker, Jan 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Peaker

Peaker Thread Starter

Hi folks,

Can anyone reccomend a really good software firewall? And also where I could download a trial version?

Cheers,
    Peaker.

2. mwillshaw

mwillshaw

Norton make a great software firewall, you can download it from their website http://nct1.digitalriver.com/0001/
    it runs on the usual 30 day trial befor you buy basis.

3. FlaFoci

FlaFoci

I have used Black Ice, great program but it cost, there is a program called Zone Alarm that PC World rates real good. www.zonelabs.com

4. Peaker

Peaker Thread Starter

Thanks for the pointers. Another question, will installing a firewall slow my connection down?

Cheers,
    Peaker.

5. Dark Star

Dark Star

Peaker,

Installing a firewall will not slow down your connection.

DS

6. GreenIs

GreenIs

trust me black ice doesn't work. But as most have said Zonealarm is the way to go. It has a free version which is perfect because unless your a big company you don't need the pro. Norton is as good as zonealarm but cost a bit and takes a bit more to understand. Zonealarm you just laod it and the work is pretty much done for you. There is another one that is very good, but can't remember it's name, anyway it took alot to figure it out and for that I wouldn't have recommended it.

7. Dark Star

Dark Star

GreenIs,

You might be thinking about TPF (tiny personal firewall)........not exactly user friendly as the configuration is involved, but it passes Gibson's leak test and uses less system resources

http://www.webattack.com/get/tinyfw.shtml

DS

8. GreenIs

GreenIs

yes that's the one DS! lol Ya steve gibsons's site is a great site for checking firewalls out and amoung other things.

9. demonloop

demonloop

go for the norton one suggested above

10. teduk

teduk

I have used zonealarm from the very first version and i don't think it can be bettered by anything else " free or otherwise"it must be about the easiest firewall to use.:)

11. lilhlfpint

lilhlfpint

(i agree, i think zone alarm is by far the best and it's free!)

12. faith

faith

Probably a stupid question... Do I need to install a firewall if my router has one?

13. Marturo

Marturo Guest

I have a Linksys Router on ADSL, with a 3 phase program called, EZ-ARMOR by CA. It has been rated in many places as #1 in Business and for personal use. EZ-ARMOR is 1.EZ-ANTIVIRUS 2. EZ-DESK SHIELD 3.EZ-FIREWALL you can get a 30 day free trial of EZ-ARMOR or any of the three by themselves. It never ceases to amaze me, that we like many gun owners, will put thousands into our equipment, but we want free anti virus and firewalls or we have a $500.00 hand gun, and a few $700.00 Remmington rifles, and instead of buying a $500.00 gun safe we hide them under the bed. Yes you need all the protection you can get today, not only do we have Hackers & Crackers, But has everyone forgot so soon, we are at WAR. At WAR with an enemy who wants to destroy our economy, at the lowest and highest levels. Just as anyone should lock up their Firearms, we need to keep our Computers from being used by people bent on using them back against us. MacAfee, Norton, Black Ice, Zone Alarm pale in comparesion, to anything CA can do against The evil doers. Here is their link go there, ask questions do research. Oh They are the same ones who thought enough, about keeping the Internet safe, that they made a great Program, Free to the public called InouculatePE for many years. Where did we get this lamer idea, that we have to pay $$$$ to MicroSoft for their Buggie Programs, but the Real Pros who keep us safe, owe us free Protection. Sorry but this is a real no brainer to me, the Internet is a very dangerious place, just like the real World is. In fact they are one in the same. As always it is your decision, and I wish you the best of luck. Marturo
    http://www.my-eTrust.com

14. jan3et

jan3et

Will Zone Alarm still work if I don't have dsl or cable connection to the internet? Am still using the old modem connection at 56k. Thanks

15. teduk

teduk

jan3et

yes jan, zonealarm is perfect for modem connections to the net and very easy to use once you have done the original setup.
    after you get used to it a bit, i would turn off the alert popup box though otherwise it will drive you mad
    :(

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64986

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice