1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Best for Networking -- Building from scratch

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by techster, Jul 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. techster

techster Thread Starter

Ok I am looking forward to manage my network. I am hving 2 pc's at home, 1 laptop, WiFi Router, ADSL connection. One PC is being used by my sis and other is for backing up data. All the critical data I get from office goes into the machine and then uploaded to FTP for double backup security.

Apart from this I have 2 HDD one with SUSE installed and other as spare.

Now I want to build a network such that all the music and movies go to my sis pc by default and rest of the stuff gets backed up automatically in my pc. And when anyone requires anything from any machine there is no hassel in doing so. I'd prefer linux on data machine, if its possible.

I am having original OS:
    Windows xp pro sp2 and SP3 (from my office)
    Windows 2003 server
    Windows 2000 ( all of them)
    Linux -- Suse, Ubuntu, Kubuntu

As for my sis use.. she is into music, movies, net surfing, online games, some of her word processing as she is working that doesnt come in bulk. For my use i use laptop in office and all the data is quite critical which I backup regularly and all critical docx are on shared FTP in office.

Please let me knw what would be best. Pref linux since i wanna get outta this MS thing and second I dont want to keep upgrading just to keep it running.

TIA

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!