1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Best free Firewall/Antivirus/Spyware protection?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Crusnik, Feb 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Crusnik

Crusnik Thread Starter

I often am asked whats the best free protection software out there and it's been a while since I pinged the group to see what their thoughts are.

Firewall:
    I'll be honest, I have no idea what free software is even out there these days for free firewalls.

Antivirus:
    To my knowledge, AVG is as good as it gets for free virus software.

Spyware:
    Ad-aware? Spybot? Is this bundled into AVG/other antivirus software now?

Thanks for the input.

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

3. rbalaji

rbalaji

There are lots of free firewalls out there. I myself have heard of comodo and zone alarm, and more are reviewed here.

As for anti-virus, AVG seems to be THE most troublesome free anti-virus. Look at the number of threads just in this forum devoted to problems with AVG. I use Avast and have never had a problem with it. You couldn't pay me to switch to AVG, but that is a personal preference.

As for anti-spyware, I use the adaware anniversary edition. I am leery of anti-spyware software in general because the technology seems to be quite immature at this point. I have had anti-spyware programs mess up my system by identifying needed system files as spyware, quarantining them and causing my computer not to boot up. Adaware seems to be more sensible than others in this genre.

4. Crusnik

Crusnik Thread Starter

Avast eh? I've haven't heard of that one yet. Maybe I should give that one a try.

Odd question... I was thinking of trying out the Windows 7 beta. Think these would work on there since they worked on Vista?

Appreciate the quick responses!

5. JamesFrance

JamesFrance

Comodo Internet Security will do all this. Best to wait until Tuesday when the new version with heuristics and Threatcast will be on the website, or it can be downloaded now from their forum.

6. rbalaji

rbalaji

Most anti-virus software, I would not expect them to work on Windows 7. AV is tightly integrated with the OS kernel and since windows 7 is still being worked on, I doubt any vendor has had enough access to the kernel to make their product compatible with it. Same for firewalls. But anti-spyware, especially on-demand scanners should be able to work on windows 7, I think.

7. Mr. Newton

Mr. Newton

First Name:
    Terry
    There is no such thing as best.
    You just need to check out TSG or other forums and various security sites,read a lot of computer articles,and then try out different ones or just pick one and in time you will become aware of what one you want to finally keep.
    I have tried various paid and unpaid and now I use only one.It works for me but I never see it recommended by others.It keeps me safe and I trust it,which is all that counts.
    It's the "best" one for me.You won't find it listed in the top five most used, but that's ok with me.I'm completely satisfied with the one I use.

8. rOadToIS

rOadToIS

I agree with Newton.

9. perfume

perfume Banned

Dear rOAd----,
    Firstly i apologize to you when we had a small spat over a free version of CIS!(Never can correctly type your username!):(. KIS2009 died on me and surprise,iam now using the free version of CIS,till i get to buy my "favourite KIS2009! The support team for KIS2009 is really the pits!

I too agree with MR.Newton when he said "best" is a relative term.Right now iam happy with these A-V/Spyware?Adware, being:1)Super anti spyware Pro, 2) Malwarebytes anti malware(bought)(MBAM), 3) Trojan Killer, 4) A-Squared Free 5) Anniversary edition of AD_aware and Comodo Internet Security Suite (CIS) is a compromise( Totally a personal view). I have Win Partol installed too and i sort of have a sentimental liking for the dog!:)

10. perfume

perfume Banned

Just wanted to add that Microsoft have "Malicious Software Removal Tool"(MSRT), which hrlow2 says is upgraded once a week, but i found the updates is once a month.It is a freeware and if a "deep scan" is chosen, it does a thorough job! The version i have is a Jan release, confusingly named--KB 890 830-v 2.6! The feb version is released.:)

11. HalleluYAH

HalleluYAH

Lock N' Stop: Best Firewall (for me).

12. hrlow2

hrlow2

to perfume
    I defy you to show me where I stated that the Malicious Software Removal Tool was updated every week.

13. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

Why is avira not getting any recognition here.Its good

14. hrlow2

hrlow2

I still use Avira and enjoy a clean machine. Used with my other defenses, I have everything covered.( knock on wood ).

15. Bichey

Bichey

Avira is an excellent anti virus. The best thing about avira is that after u uninstall it there are no traces left in the registry.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/800140

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice