1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Best Graphic Program ?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by bearqst, Feb 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bearqst

bearqst Thread Starter

Trying to decide what to buy for a good graphics program.

Main needs: be able to scan .tif, .jpg, .gif, etc images and edit them.

Photo editing would be nice but not a requirement.

Have considered Adobe Pagemaker and Illustrator.

Any thoughts ?

2. Arky

Arky

I have used Paint Shop Pro for 20 years from its appearance as Jasc shareware to the present (it is now owned by Corel). It is a powerful image creator/editor in a host of formats and it is inexpensive. It also comes with an Animation editor which is outstanding.

A trial copy of version 9 can be downloaded from:

http://www.jasc.com/products/?

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  4. slipe

slipe

Pagemaker is a desktop publishing program. It coordinates with Photoshop for image editing but doesn’t have much of its own. Illustrator is for vector images. It also coordinates well with Photoshop for raster images like JPG, TIFF etc. But it doesn’t edit those images very well on its own. I don’t think either Pagemaker or Illustrator is what you are looking for.

If Photoshop is too pricey I would suggest Ulead’s PhotoImpact or Jasc’s Paint Shop Pro. Both have trial versions. You can pick up older versions on Ebay for peanuts, and they will probably do as well as the latest versions for basic editing, cropping etc.

If you don’t really want to get into image editing you might try the freeware Irfanview. It works well for simple tasks. www.irfanview.com

5. bearqst

bearqst Thread Starter

Thanks everyone,

Lots of options and great comments.

I already use Irfanview, but need more options. I think I have the funds for PhotoShop, I'll give the trial version a shot and also check out PSP.

TIA

6. slipe

slipe

If you decide to go into desktop publishing Pagemaker is on the way out. Many reviewers were surprised they even made the latest revision. Adobe is switching to InDesign as their flagship desktop publishing program.

Photoshop is great if you really intend getting into sophisticated photo work. But it is a bear to learn to use well. And the expense is hard to justify unless you really intend to get heavily into image editing. A big advantage of Photoshop is that there are tutorials for just about anything you might want to learn to do. Paint Shop Pro and Elements probably have the next best array of tutorials.

7. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

8. bearqst

bearqst Thread Starter

etaf had gimp on the list. I'll take a look at each, might find I need more than one for my purposes :)

9. Whaines

Whaines

The Gimp is the free photoshop

10. uly7

uly7

Photoshop is the best. If you have the funds, then don't loose your time with other programs. Every program, --gimp, PSP, etc-- are hard to learn, or I should say, are not that easy, and they all are not close 'yet' to what Photoshop can do.
    Try Photoshop and you will love it.
    Good luck
    Uly7 (y)

11. acraftylady

acraftylady

I didn't find PSP or animation shop hard to learn, found it very easy. I read the helpf files and followed a load of tutorials for it. I found it much easier than learning photoshop elements but that's just how it went for me.

12. Bill Moore

Bill Moore

Lets talk common sense here: Why pay stupid prices for a program that you probably will never use to it's full potential, (Photoshop and the like.) ETAF has given you some very good links to FREE software that will MORE than do the job for you!
    One of the best (from the point of being easy to use but VERY powerful) is 'PHOTOFILTRE', avoid the 'GIMP' as this is a very non standard program,and this makes it over complicated to learn!

13. mrcoons

mrcoons

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!