1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

best hard drive setup hands down?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by yzman, Aug 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. yzman

yzman Thread Starter

hey guys,

i am setting up a gaming rig for my boss... no he is not that cool but he is that rich!
    the motherboard will support sata6 but they all have 2 sata 6 ports only... so my plan to have 4 drives Raid 0+1 is shot.

what do you guys think the next best thing is?

the largest sata 6 drives are 1TB (caviar black) and so just 2 of those is not enough...
    I am thinking either having 2 sata 6 drives 1TB on raid mirroring, and adding 2 more drives on sata 3 as data drives with raid stripping.
    or having 2 sata 6 drives 1TB on raid stripping as the data drives, and just having a 128G SSD as the OS on sata 3.

I don't think SSD is worth it on a desktop ( i am all for it on a laptop) especially since for the price of a 128GB drive you can usually raid 2 high end 1TB drives...

what would you guys recommend or suggest?

2. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

SATA 6 is a waste of money. Electromechanical drives don't have enough throughput to take advantage of it. You won't notice any difference at all in overall performance using SATA 3 vs SATA 6.

Now, if you were deploying SSD drives, that would be another thing entirely. But SSDs won't last that long in an intense I/O environment.

3. yzman

yzman Thread Starter

hmmm...

so practically you are saying you would go with an SSD on sata 6 for the OS and a raid on sata 3 for the data?

I thought they solved the problem with SSD not being suitable to run an OS because of the frequent writes, and that is why they are so freak'n expensive....

4. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

SSDs still have limited write cycles. The firmware on the SSD does wear leveling by writing all over the drive in order to equalize the wear - you don't defrag an SSD. Nonetheless, they still have limited write cycles. The number of writes per location has gone up a bit over time, but they still won't last.

5. yzman

yzman Thread Starter

i ended up getting 2 seagate barracuda Sata III (6Gb/s) drives 2TB each and i am going to Raid them...
    at $200 each they ended up costing just a bit less than a 128SSD with 2x 1TB Sata III drives, but this way i am hoping increased lifetime and double the storage capacity will outweigh the (hopefully) slight decrease in performance.
    especially since i used to hear that Raid stripping is not much of an improvement for partitions running an OS.

I am surprised not more people have wanted to weigh in on this and take a side... maybe i should have posted this under gaming :)

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

What we thought was pretty much already stated. SSD's are really not ready for prime-time, and the SATA III's are a good choice.

Sometimes it's hard to have an opinion when the alternatives are very much alike. But I think you got good advice and made a good choice.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/940941

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice