1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Best, inexpensive way to download Windows 8 or 10 on Mac

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by BirdieMac, Oct 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BirdieMac

BirdieMac Thread Starter

Our house has two Mac Book Airs, a Mac desktop, and a Toshiba Satellite Radius 2 in 1 Intel Core i5. My boys are homeschooled and they have to take turns using my Toshiba to do their software programs. Unfortunately, the software is not compatible with our "barely used" Macs, so, I have been planning to buy three new PC laptops, but it's really not in my budget. My 13 year old told me about Windows Emulator. (Ha, right? These kids know more about tech than mom and dad.) So, I've been doing some research, but need a little help.

I am interested in downloading Windows 8 or higher to all three Apples for my boys' homeschool programs. The requirements for their Switch on Schoolhouse software are Windows Vista Service Pack (SP) 2 and Windows (7, 8, 8.1 or 10). I understand that Windows it's downloadable through Bootcamp, but my question is, do I need to purchase 3 separate Windows programs or can I use the same one on all three Apples? I know you need a key, but would it be shareable with all three?

Also, what am I looking at in terms of cost for the Windows 10 program for Mac? Am I better off downloading vs. purchasing a physical disk at a Best Buy, Amazon, Walmart, etc.? Hey, if I have to buy three separate Windows programs, it's still better than purchasing three new PCs. Thanks for your help!

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you need a license to run each version of windows on each PC or Mac

when you purchase , just be careful the source is a reliable source , some very cheap versions of windows may not authenticate as they may not be genuine or OEM license

3. Headrush

Headrush

What year MacBook Air do you have?
    Bootcamp 6 is supported on the mid 2012 models and newer.

This isn't to say Windows 10 won't run on older models, it's just not officially supported.
    (I run it fine on my unsupported 2010 Mac Pro)

You do need 3 licenses (one for each machine), but you can use the same media to install on all the computers.
    (Technically you can install Windows 10 without a license but you'll need it to authenticate Windows after install)

I've always found it best to download Windows directly, keep a backup, and then use that file with Bootcamp. Bootcamp will handle copying files onto the HD and start the Windows installer from the HD. Buying a DVD from a local store will be slower and more work, especially if you don't have optical drives with your MacBook Airs.

I purchased my copy of Windows 10 directly from Microsoft. (Download)
    If you have a optical drive you can burn a copy to DVD for backup if you need/want to.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1179270

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice