best internal ide hard drive. maxtor, WD, or hitachi? any of them suck?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jrx10

I just bought a maxtor 200 gig today for 80 bucks. I come home and see that there a couple of deals even better (price per GB) for wd and hitachi 160 GB HDs (all 7200 RPM ide internal drives), although these require waiting for those ridiculous rebates (which I hate)--the maxtor was 80 bucks out the door. I've only had my original (which is a maxtor) and a WD 80 gig which I installed as a secondary about a year ago and is now full, plus a couple of WD 120 usb 2.0 external drives which I use for BU. I've heard that hitachi has the best warrenty, but that doesn't help if they just replace the HD without replacing the lost info.

I like the Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 and 7200.8 drives, myself. We get very few faulty and they come with a 3 years replacement warranty, for 2 years after that they will give you a partial refund on the drive instead.

I don't know of any manufacturer that will "replace the lost info" . . that is what backups are for!

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
All of the major brands have similar long term MTBF numbers. There are periods where one brand has a better track record than another, but that changes over time.

Ive been running an internet center for three years. We build our own machines, replace parts etc.

We have tried many different hard drives over the years and in my opinion the only two drives you should get are Maxtor or Seagate (preferably the barracuda). We have maxtor drives here that have been running without fault for 4 years, and all our servers are seagate.

I've never like Western Digital....they break easily in my opinion.

If I had to pick one it would be seagate, or of the three you mentioned then Maxtor

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I have several broken Maxtor's in my closet, they do indeed break. :)

pugmug

Banned
Not going to try and second quess anyone here as most are right on with their answers.I have used every brand name in this thread and then some to build customers computers and unless they insist on one brand only I use Seagate,period! The best brand over the years of building computers I have found.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online