1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Best Internet Security for Win ME?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by monya, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. monya

monya Thread Starter

I have used McAfee for years but when I had a problem and had to do system restore the McAfee I downloaded would not complete the install. So now I am wondering if anyone can suggest what Internet Security Package they have found to be best and easiest to use. Thank you!!

2. junker39

junker39

AVG virus protection,ZoneAlarm Firewall, AdAwareSE,SpyBot Search and Destroy, HiJack This. All Freeware.(or you can upgrade to the paid version) I run these on three daily abused PCs and have never had a virus or spy/trojan related problem.

3. Fidelista

Fidelista

4. Fidelista

Fidelista

I should say, this no replacement for anti-virus protection, just adds protections for other Malware. I believe that junker39 has given good advice in regard to the other programs. You can't find any better.>f

5. monya

monya Thread Starter

Thank you for your suggestions. I will certainly try these programs!

6. joe2cool

joe2cool

Always thought McAffee didn't agree with ME !

7. monya

monya Thread Starter

I have always had trouble with the McAfee using Win ME but then again Norton was rough too. I followed your advise and I installed AVG Virus Protect, ZoneAlarm Firewall, Ad Aware and will use Spybot and Hijack This as well. My computer is going so much faster now! Yeah! Finally I get to enjoy the DSL I pay for, ha! Again thank you, you guys were such a big help. I had worked on my computer for two days off and on and was so stressed. Thanks!

8. joe2cool

joe2cool

Great ...........good luck !!

9. smeegle

smeegle

Monya, did you download McAfee to your computer and if so, did you pay for the service with a credit card?

10. monya

monya Thread Starter

Smeegle, Yes, I did pay for McAfee with credit card. I bought the Internet Security 6 about 5 months ago. It just would not install so I gave up. Now things are going great with the free programs you guys told me about. Thanks!

11. smeegle

smeegle

A word to the wise: McAfee has this nasty habit of updating your subscription each year by using the credit card information that you originally supplied to them. When this first happened to me I sent a number of e-mails to McAfee about this. They continued to respond to my e-mails by asking for the same information, over and over. You can cancel this charge through your credit card company if you notify them within sixty days. However, until you get in touch with McAfee their software will continue to charge your credit card each year for a service that you are not using.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269530

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice