1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Best Internet Security

Discussion in 'General Security' started by mytyacd, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mytyacd

mytyacd Thread Starter

Okay...I'm sure this has been asked before. What do you think is the best Internet Security. I was using McAfee and switched to a trial version of AVG. I like AVG. I'm interested in buying a product because I was told the free versions are not as "good". I was also told the the paid for versions will bog down the computer and I do not want that. I saw a difference between McAfee and AVG. I have three computers and two teenagers who click on and download anything. I'm thinking I really need the Internet Security. I'm just looking for opinions....I looked at some older posts but find some of the info confusing.

Tricia

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

This year's internet security programs are all claiming that they will not bog down the system. This is because of the bad reputation of Symantec 2008 version that really did slow down systems.

I prefer the best of breed approach rather than software suites that does it all. ESET's NOD antivirus is commonly acknowledged to be good around here, I use it too. It detects bad files as soon as they land on the PC, and when I test it by downloading the EICAR test virus, the downloaded file is gone as soon as the download finishes.

Kaspersky's antivirus is also good. Their internet suite is not bad either, but I'll let Perfume talk about that since I think he uses it.

I'll continue on a bit about other means of securing your network. As good security is not totally reliant on just an internet security suite.

Create standard accounts ( not administrator ) for your kids. That way, they cannot install anything, and some malware will have a hard time infecting their systems. Getting malware infected is as simple as clicking on a hacked site, and you won't know which sites are hacked, even big named sites like Business Week has been hacked to install malware before.

Setup Windows Automatic Update to install automatically. The default time is 3am, if you leave your computers on at night. Or simply go around to each PC on the second Tuesday of every month and do Windows Update, which brings down all the security patches.

There is a high chance of your kid's PCs getting infected not matter what precautions you preach. Teenagers don't care much about security risks, privacy, spyware and all that. Buy 2 additional routers, put your PC behind one, and put their PCs behind the other router. Then hook both routers to the modem/main-router. That way, your kids are on a different network than yours. And infections will not leap from their PCs onto yours. ( I assume you do banking and purchases on your own PC and need that PC protected ) There may be a tangle of wires, but it is good security. It is the same principle as what companies do when they separate the high risk web servers out into a true DMZ zone.

3. perfume

perfume Banned

Dear mytyacd,
    Lunarlander's right. I use Kaspersky internet security suite 2010 (before that 2009).The paradox is, i am a teenager and i know what's safe and what's not for your kids! You have 4GB ram, and there is no way your PC's gonna slow down,unless you are an avid player of computer games! The suggestions i am going to provide will need spending a lot of energy on my part (to explain the nuances) and on your part to clearly understand what i will be humbly conveying to you. I am a Juvenile diabetic and it's actually time for me to take the shot, wait and have grub! Pardon me, i will be at your service ASAP! One thing i can assure you is KIS2010 is the right product for your family IMO!:)(y)

4. perfume

perfume Banned

Dear Tricia,
    what is it you want out of a commercial and top-class security suite? Do you want to prevent your children's PCs from getting infected? Is it to prevent P2P sharing? is it to see a log of their web browsing ? Or, ultimately to "enforce" parental control? Once we are clear about your needs, we can talk turkey! ( hey, Brett, i am getting to be an American teenager!).:)(y)

5. extons

extons

I use Norton Internet Security 2011 BETA and I love it.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Tricia:

No matter what security suite or stand-alone antivirus program or antimalware/antispyware programs that you use, the above statement says it all, and you can expect your computers to get infected sooner or later.

10 different people here will give you 10 different recommendations as to what to use. It may take awhile for you to determine which ones work best for you. Some are bloated and have a learning curve, some are user-friendly, some are system-hungry, some aren't, some do a good job, some don't, etc..

Personally, I use the free version of AVG 9.0.814 and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.46 and SUPERAntiSpyware 4.36.0.1006. I'm the only person who uses these computers and I practice safe browsing and downloading habits.

-------------------------------------------------------------

7. mytyacd

mytyacd Thread Starter

In regards to the kids.....the BIG thing they do is I-Tunes. Then Facebook/Myspace. They really don't spend a ton of time online in comparison to probably most teenagers. What has happened recently is one of those fake security warnings came up on the desktop and I ended up needing to restore it. One of those that you could not "click" out of. It was miserable. I now have Ad-Aware on them. I think it may have helped here a couple weeks ago when it happened again. It popped-up....I told them to run Ad-Aware...and everything was fine. It's not my computer....it's them bringing me something saying..."fix it...I don't know what happened". And of course they don't know where they were or what they clicked on. I have had stuff happen and I can usually figure out where it came from.

I want to use something that will protect their usage from viruses. I don't know what they are opening when others send them things....what sites they decide to investigate....etc. I do banking and make purchases. None of us do any major gaming.

My laptop is new and has Intel Core i-3 processor, 4GB and 320 HD. The other laptop is 1GB, 80 HD w/Vista and the desktop is really slow with 512 memory, not sure about HD but it is even smaller, with XP. Looking to upgrade the desktop soon. It works for now...and the speed may be what keeps my kids from wanting to spend hours on it....so...not a bad thing.

I'm not computer illiterate.....but I'm not a wizard either. Some of these posts I read recommend downloading a different thing for each need...like firewall from this place....antivirus from here...antispam from here...etc. I don't want complicated...but I do want to do what is needed to be protected. I have been happy with this trial version of AVG....but I don't want to have to download it every 30 days on all computers...if you can even do that. I don't want the other computers being bogged down. Switching to AVG did seem to help with the others....especially with the scan running.

Lunarlander.....Is that a site to test if you are protected....the EICAR test virus? If so what does it test exactly??? I had never heard of the antivirus you mentioned but I will check it out. Maybe I will try different trial versions before making a decision. Except...that I have been told by others that the versions you buy are different and can slow things down. I found AVG Internet Security online for 3 computers for 1 year for $22. Can't really beat that.

Perfume....Right now....I do not use parental controls. I tried doing that awhile back when they were younger....but when I set the settings they were blocked from doing anything online. The only thing I wanted blocked was sexually explicit stuff. They could not even open yahoo. So...if you know a better way of doing that....please tell. At the moment...I really do not have the need to monitor them closely. Maybe having something that I could see where they have been if needed would be nice. They have not figured out that I can...if I wanted to....see their chat histories. My daughter gives me her passwords freely. My son does not....but I don't think it is because he has something to hide. He will be 18 in 6 months.

If I were to stay with a free version.....would I just need to download something else? Is there something you can get to protect online banking and shopping which is what I think all the free versions lack?

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Be real careful not to get suckered into installing rogue security programs that mimic the names of legitimate security programs. When an unsolicited security warning appears, that's usually a good sign.

Here and here is some good reading for you.

----------------------------------------------------------------

9. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Best program is you
    get wise

10. lunarlander

lunarlander

Hi mytyacd,

The EICAR test virus is a non-malicious file that all antivirus should recognize and flag as a virus. It basically tests if your antivirus is functioning. Some infections automatically try to disable whatever antivirus program you have installed. So I download EICAR periodically to check if my antivirus program has been tampered with.

11. mytyacd

mytyacd Thread Starter

Explain to me what part of the antivirus protects your online banking/shopping. I'm just trying to understand so I know what to look for. For example....is that what the anti-phishing does?

12. lunarlander

lunarlander

Antivirus programs' main job is to detect and eradicate viruses. Some products define viruses very narrowly, while some also detect worms, spyware and rootkits.

When the concern is about banking/shopping, the greatest threat is spyware. Spyware steals info, like your usernames and passwords and credit card numbers. I use Webroot's Spysweeper to counter these threats. There is a also a free product from Trusteer, which ensures a safe route from keyboard to browser, so that that path is not hooked with spyware. Trusteer is working with banks to promote their product, and you can download their product for free from their site.

Phishing generally comes in the form of an email, telling you that you have to go to some website; and that site asks for your account number and password. The email would look legit, complete with logo etc. But the giveaway is the link address, which might be like updateinfo.americanexpress.mybank.com. Notice that the real domain here is mybank.com and not americanexpress.com. Some people see the americanexpress part and are fooled into thinking that that is the real site.

I don't know how antiphishing works, but it trys to detect fake sites as above.

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Tricia:

I use the 3 free programs that I mentioned in post #6, and I've never had a problem with my on-line banking and on-line shopping activities.

I update and run a scan with my antispyware/anti/malware programs at least once a week, and other than 1 or 2 adware tracking cookies, my computers are clean.

Responsible browsing and downloading habits and proper computer maintenance makes for smooth and trouble-free computing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

14. perfume

perfume Banned

Dear Lunarlander,
    " There is a also a free product from Trusteer, which ensures a safe route from keyboard to browser, so that that path is not hooked with spyware. Trusteer is working with banks to promote their product, and you can download their product for free from their site.".

That's some good point. Will check it out! Thank you.:)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920508

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice