Best junk cleaner for Win XP?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

pshermanfl

After a huge system crash and reinstallation of Windows XP, I am left with lots and lots of junk files scattered thither and yon. What do you all recommend I use to safely (stress on safely--crash was caused by a simple uninstall of a bona fide program, not questionable shareware or freeware..has made me wary of everything!) get rid of this junk. My computer experience in this area is only slightly better than beginner.

Thanks in advance,
Peggy

pshermanfl

Thanks, but actually I didn't mean spyware-type junk, I meant temp files, corrupt files, files that do not need to be here and are probably slowing me down. The kind of thing that WinDoctor or CleanSweep might get, but I wonder if there is a better utility to tidy things up after programs went awry in a crash and were reinstalled (including Windows itself), leaving pieces/parts everywhere.

You could create this in notepad:

rd %temp% /s /q

md %temp%

Save it as "cleantemp.bat"

Now put this in your startup folder, so it starts on boot up it will clean your temp folder.
Something I found on another tech site. I use it & it works fine.

i used to use ccleaner and easy cleaner but now use clean up
if you use, before you run look at the "options" section, and uncheck prefetch files and recycle bin...leave the bottom 3 unchecked also.
in the cookies section type in the names of any that you want to save, check box "save cookies containing text"

redoak

Gone but never forgotten
"EasyCleaner" is ideal for your needs, as well as to run periodically. Note carefully the previous advice NOT to use the "Duplicates" mode. Furthermore, delete only those items with a green dot preceding them in the "Registry" listing, and check for removal only the first 3 or 4 items in the "Unnecessary" menu.
{redoak}

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online