1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Best Linux for old Pentium II

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by XP_tech, Sep 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. XP_tech

XP_tech Thread Starter

I'm not sure which Linux operating system is best for an old Pentium II 266mhz computer I have which I want to restore. It has over 200mb or ram and currently it has Ubuntu 10 installed but I want it to run faster. Can someone please guide me to which linux distribution is best that I can use for this laptop that will allow it to run faster? Is puppy linux good? Something similar to ubuntu 10 would be great.
    (Is there anything I can maybe do in Ubuntu 10.04 to make it run faster while I have it installed now?) Thanks.

2. 1002richards

1002richards Trusted Advisor

3. XP_tech

XP_tech Thread Starter

okay thanks. Are there maybe any performance tweaks I can do to Ubuntu 10 so that it can run faster. It runs okay now and see a big improvement in speed especially when switching from XP, but I was wondering if there are a few things that could be done to boost performance. In terms of youtube video quality/speed, will any other linux distribution help with the speed of video playback or will they all be abit sluggish just as now because of the 266mh processor?

4. XP_tech

XP_tech Thread Starter

I installed xfce and now ubuntu 10 is much faster. The only issue I still have is with the audio...I have no sound but it sais in sound preferences "Dummy output". Anyway I can get audio to work too?

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

6. webmanoffesto

webmanoffesto

I'm using Puppy Linux http://puppylinux.org/main/index.php on an ancient laptop and I love it. The WiFi was so easy to set up. I settled on this after Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, and EduBuntu all failed or performed poorly.

512 MB RAM 512, battery so old it holds a charge for 15 minutes, monitor has lines on it. But I got a free MP3 player I can use to surf the net too.

7. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Dave Trusted Advisor

I second Puppy. There is a "version" specifically designed for older machines as well.

8. webmanoffesto

webmanoffesto

I like how the OS loads from CD to RAM, which means I can still use the CD reader to play movies. And it will save a file to the HD to preserve changes I've made to settings.

9. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Dave Trusted Advisor

It will save the changes to: CD/DVD if it wasn't closed, USB stick or disk, Hard disk, just about ANY writeable material( I haven't tried a printer yet ;) )
    The save to CD option is particularly useful because even if you use it in a different machine, it will re-detect hardware but remember all settings it possibly can (Language, installed programs etc).

10. webmanoffesto

webmanoffesto

I tried Slax Live disk. Couldn't connect to wireless. Went back to Puppy Linux.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/948132