1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Best Motherboard for 75 bucks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bbgarnett, Dec 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bbgarnett

bbgarnett Thread Starter

Hello,

I am looking for your guy's opinion for the best motherboard for 75 dollars and under. I have a 75 dollar gift card to Tiger Direct so it has to be purchased there. I am preferably looking for AMD boards but whatever you guy's think is the best will do. I would also like options with built in graphics on the Motherboard if possible since I can't get everything at once and don't care if I use built in graphics for a while but would eventually change it. I already have a 500 GB WD SATA HD and I can use an old CD burner for a drive for the time being.I can also use my case from my old P4 custom build that died recently. All I would need to get after is a CPU/Cooler Ram maybe a Graphics card if no built in graphics on mobo and probably a PSU since I don't know if I feel comfortable using my 450 W POS one that works fine but is just a no name brand that came with another PC. but yeah for right now I am just looking at Motherboards. But you can feel free to chime in with whatever you feel I should be looking at.

Thanks,

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    What i know about motherboards is they arent cheap to replace.When they have gone bad in my computers i recycle them and get rid of them because of the age of the computer its not worth fixing. I cant imagine being able to buy a brand new motherboard for 75 dollars.I know for instance a brand new motherboard on a dell XPS laptop is 500 dollars alone.For 75 dollars you might find a good used board but even then i would seriously doubt it.From what ive learned over the years about computers the motherboard is the most expensive part to replace.Hopefully someone who has replaced a board will be able to give you more advice.

3. catlady13

catlady13

DO not buy ECS or Biostar. They are usually cheap crap.
    I saw a number of boards in your price range. Personally I have come to like gigabyte boards. Asus used to be top of the line and I think they are coming back. I have used a number of microstar boards and have liked them but I have found personally that the gigabyte boards at least for me thus far have had the best longevity.
    Also if at all possible do NOT use a cheap power supply unit. I know a PSU is not glamorous but it is the backbone of the machine. A poor one can cause more problems than just about anything else on the computer and can actually kill your motherboard and other components as it dies.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Do you have a CPU to use with this new board?

5. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Really need to be more specific about what the end use
    of the system is going to be.
    Performance gamer,HTPC or just for basic web/desktop work.
    There are different types of systems available now.
    There are CPU's out that have built in graphics,but can be used in hybrid mode,
    automatically switching between dedicated and on CPU graphics
    depending on the load.
    There are different CPU socket types and so on.
    AMD is at the AM3/AM3+ motherboard mainstrem types but they
    have the APU socket type too.
    I think that is the FM1 for the all in one processors.

6. bbgarnett

bbgarnett Thread Starter

Well I am looking at AM3/AM3+ most likely as I already have an Athlon X2 5200 Machine so I'd wan't it to be be better than that. I do not have a CPU yet that's why I said I'd have to get the parts in spurts as I am in no hurry to complete this project. I am looking for mainly web and desktop work but I also like to watch videos alot whether it's from youtube,other video files or DVDs etc. I don't really play games as I have a PS3, I mean I play games like Pocket tanks or old Dos games and what not but nothing with graphics to write home about. But that isn't to say I wouldn't ever play a graphically higher intensive game if one should peek my interest. but I would eventually get a PCI express graphics card anyways just because. Also it would be nice to if the motherboard supported Hybrid for the GPU so that it can use the on-board graphics most of the time when doing basic/normal functions but then automatically switch to the PCI e card in the event I am playing a game that needs more that what the Mobo has/can handle.

7. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

The hybrid graphics motherboards are Socket FM1,not AM3/AM3+.
    Your 5200 may be an AM2 or AM2+ system.
    The integrated graphics in the FM1 CPU's is better than onboard,
    but not as good as a dedicated graphics card.
    A dedicated graphics card can be added later and run in hybrid mode.
    So,if you decide to go FM1,AM3 processors will not be comapatable.
    FM1 on processor graphics are designed to handle HD video,so
    your good for playing videos without having a dedicated card yet.
    Here is a place to start checking out some of the specs.
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/search.asp?keywords=fm1&sort=Price&dir=asc
    Here is some more info on the processors..
    http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/apu/mainstream/Pages/mainstream.aspx

8. Jparrish123

Jparrish123

Try Gigabyte they have some pretty good AM3/AM3+ Motherboards :)

9. bbgarnett

bbgarnett Thread Starter

OK I'll look at those board on TD and yeah my 5200+ is an AM2 AM2+. also I do have or will be getting either today or tomorrow a 10 dollar off any item coupon. which is in addition to the 10.00 rebates. So I mean I am not stuck at 75 but would like to stick close to it

Am I correct that your saying on the FM1 boards/CPU's that the graphics are built into the CPU and not on the motherboard.

Anyways as far as the boards go I am mainly looking at the gigabyte boards since ECS is crap and biostar isn't much better I don't think and out of those there Gigabyte I feel is the best then probably ASUS. So here are some gigabyte options around my price range

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1241995&CatId=7345

79.99 + 10.00 rebate so 69.99

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=869855&CatId=7243

84.99 - 10.00 rebate so 74.99

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=717472&CatId=7243

109.99 -15.00 instant rebate 94.99 - 10.00 rebate
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=717466&CatId=7243

So would you recommend any of these over another or would you recommend one of the ASUS boards on there over one of these.

Thanks,

10. Nebastion

Nebastion

Are you sure about your form factor?

Micro ATX - ATX - XL, ATX...........
    I'm thinking you nay have put the motherboards in order of price and started from the cheapest?
    Mini you can get a rough idea from the amount of expansion slots you have on your existing mo/bo.

11. replay

replay

this is a tad unfair, while i agree with ecs being crappy........... i have built 4-5 systems recently with the biostar 880's and have been VERY happy with them and with the low low price i paid
    here is one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138283

12. prunejuice

prunejuice

Biostar's upper end are not as bad as that company's previous offerings in the "budget market".

I'd still go Gigabyte...and you can certainly get a decent budget Gigabyte board for less that $75.

13. bbgarnett

bbgarnett Thread Starter

yeah I just started at the cheapest but I think there all Micro ATX anyways.

This is the board I have now running in my Athlon X2 5200 machine

http://asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=ALiveNF6P-VSTA

also my old P4 machine was also running an ASrock board which i believe was also Micro ATX.

14. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Yes,the video outputs are on the motherboard but the graphics
    hardware is on the CPU.
    Those boards all have similar specs,but the last 3 all have
    2 pci express X16 slots.
    One could be used for a dedicated graphics card,while the other
    could be used for other hardware.
    You can run X1,X4,X8 or X16 cards in an X16 slot,so an extra
    one of those would give more flexibilty.
    Just remember you have to use an FM1 processor in the board.
    Your old one won't work.
    Looks like those boards all run the A series APU so make sure you
    get one of those if you are going with one of those.
    The athlon 2 and semperon FM1 processors they list in the
    details of the first board are not APU's,they don't have integrated graphics.
    The A series and E2 series do.

15. bbgarnett

bbgarnett Thread Starter

ok thanks and yeah I understand that my old stuff won't work but that's fine as my Athlon X2 5200 build works just fine it's my old P4 build that the mobo died.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031312

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice