1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

best motherboard for amd athlon xp 3200+ barton?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by joehandy, Feb 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joehandy

joehandy Thread Starter

what is the best motherboard for a amd athlon xp 3200+ barton processor? i've got a 2500+ on a asus A7N8X mb right now and i'm wanting to upgrade...any ideas? tia...

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I am running one in an asus A7N8X-E deluxe. No problems with it. The board you have now will run the 3200+ fine.

3. joehandy

joehandy Thread Starter

are you sure? when it posts up when i turn it on it says 333fsb...the board isn't a -E or deluxe...

4. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

My A7N8X-X which is a chopped version of what you have would run a 400 FSB. To change the bus speed you would have to go into the bios, choose advanced chipset options, CPU external clock, menu instead of auto, then choose 200. Hit f10 to save and exit and you will be running a 400 FSB. Mind that you will have to run your memory at the same speed. Since you are running 3200 memory I would just choose "by speed" until I had it booted for the first time.

Yes your board will do it.

5. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

You cold also very likely run your 2500+ at 3200+ speeds by upping the FSB to 400 and set the multiplier at 11.

It is the same core and allot of people have done it.;)

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The A7N8X supports 400Mhz FSB CPU. You may need a BIOS update do to it though.

Also you would be wasting your money going from a 2500+ to a 3200+; the real life performance difference is barely there in most case and as mentioned most 2500's can be overclocked to 3200+ to give the same performance by simply changing the FSB to 200Mhz.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329220

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice