Best operating system for this laptop

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MEbeME

Hello all.

I recently purchased a second hand Toshiba Tecra 8000 Laptop which came with XP Pro installed on it. Everying works fine, it is just VERY VERY VERY slow. I am unsure what O/S this laptop was built for.

Here are the specs:

Intel Pentium II processor
160MHz, 128 MB of Ram

6GB Hard Drive

I would like to know which O/S i should install on the laptop to speed it up. Any help will be greatly appeciated.

TerryNet

Terry
Almost the same specs as my 7 1/2 year old laptop, except I have a blazing fast Celeron 400Mhz CPU. :) Mine came with Windows 98SE. That's probably your best bet if you want speed.

I had 2k Pro on it for a short while; it seemed to work OK but I had a heck of a time finding some drivers.

XP is pretty slow at less than 512 MB memory.

MEbeME

I was thinking 2000, but would it improve me speed??

YouTube videos load quickly, but i can't watch them

redoak

Gone but never forgotten
Try to find out what size "2000" is. "XP" virtually filled your 6 GB HDD, leaving no "breathing room" for its operation. I have seen the recommendation that "XP" have at least 12 GB of space for itself. You don't want to run into a similar problem with "2000."

{redoak}

guitar

Banned
i also have tecra8000 p3 500 just add another stick of ram i have 256 and it works fine for general stuff

TerryNet

Terry
Today's web content was not designed with "160MHz, 128 MB of Ram" in mind.

IMO your best bet is to keep XP, plan to do something else for 10 minutes after you boot it, and only open one or two applications at a time. Keep it as "clean" as possible.

Mine worked OK on Win 2k Pro, but I never tried to watch videos on it and don't know how much your 1/3 processor speed compared to mine will make.

MEbeME

Windows 2000 Professional
Minimum Requirements

Computer/Processor 133 MHz or higher Pentium-compatible CPU
Memory 64 megabytes (MB) of RAM recommended minimum; more memory generally improves responsiveness
Hard Disk 2GB hard disk with a minimum of 650MB of free space
CPU Support Windows 2000 Professional supports single and dual CPU systems

Should I do it?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online