1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Best OS for old laptop?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ajrobson, Feb 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ajrobson

ajrobson Thread Starter

What OS would run the quickest on a laptop with:
    • intel 4 3.00 ghz
    • 768mb of ram
    • 17gig hdd
    • ati mobility radeon 9700

It is currently running xp home but it can be really slow if doing more then a few things at once. I don't want to spend money on the laptop because I have a good pc and only use this for when I can't be bothered to go to my office.

I only use the laptop for checking emails, playing a few old games, watching vids and running Office. Any advice on a better os to try?

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Its a single core CPU, no OS is going to make it faster when multi tasking. : -(

If it is an old installation of Home, I would do a clean install.

3. johnny919h1234

johnny919h1234

Yes I'd do the same thing, clean XP install..

4. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

XP should run well on that laptop. No newer O/S will give you better performance, and older ones, with maybe Windows 2000, are simply too old these days. You could go with a Linux distro like Ubuntu but as mentioned above a format and reinstall generally does marvels to resolve performance issues.

P.S. Its very unusual to have a 3.0 Ghz Pentium 4 laptop with a Radeon 9700 graphics card paired with only a 17GB(20GB) drive. I'd thing the drive is either split into multiple parts or not fully partition to the maximum size. And if you've run out of the space on the 17GB partition that could be why its slow as well.

5. lilb

lilb

download "Piriform CCleaner" google it you will find a link run the cleaner and the registry fixer a few times, and download "Glary utilities" both free by the way, then your computer will run much better. Also get piriform Defraggler and defrag your harddrive. also getting rid of unused programs will help.

6. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

registry cleaner? YUCK!!!

I would do a clean install, maybe upgrade the RAM, though not essential. 17GB hard drive for the rest of those specs is very odd...

XP would probably be the best Windows OS, followed by 7. Thoug I would opt for a nice Linux before 7 if speed is your primary concern, Ubuntu is good, or Red Hat.

7. lilb

lilb

yeah registry cleaner i used it and tweaked the startup proccesses on my brothers old laptop ie Intel pentium M 1.8ghz 486mbs ram and a 16mb graphics running xp, and it worked alot better for him, also defragged hardrive removed viruses etc... and he says it runs better than new now.

8. dustyjay

dustyjay Jay

Registry cleaners often do more damage to the registry than they help. CCleaner can be used but I would stay away from the registry cleaner option.

9. lilb

lilb

well yes that is correct i usually get rid of stray entries etc.. myself my bro was looking for a quick fix so i used a registry cleaner.

10. lilb

lilb

But i just help people as a hobbie so i don't know more than i need to so I'm going to stay out of this one. Weird thing is though I've had 4 computers myself and have fixed maybe 30 other computers ie getting rid of viruses getting virus programs, deleting unused programs defraggin upgrading overclocking etc.. and each time ive used CCleaner and none of them have ever had a problem after i used the registry fixer, but im guessing its a rare issue??

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Registry cleaners are generally not recommended. They very often do more harm than good. The best one I have found is Auslogic reg cleaner. It seems to generate the least problems AND it is a free download.

12. ajrobson

ajrobson Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. I had a look and windows was installed in 2004!! so I will try a reinstall.

Just curious is there a way to see if my hard drive is partioned? "My computer" says I have 2 hard drives both around 17.7 gig. I could just open up the laptop but if theres a quicker way to see I would rather do that.

13. dustyjay

dustyjay Jay

Most laptops only have one hard drive. There are some that have the ability to have two hard drives.

14. 1002richards

1002richards Trusted Advisor

15. ajrobson

ajrobson Thread Starter

Just checked and its on hdd thats been partioned into two. Thanks for the help guys will reinstall soon.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!