1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Best PC Security with Visiting Guests?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by kiteboarder, Sep 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kiteboarder

kiteboarder Thread Starter

Hello wise ones,

I often have guests staying w/ me from around the world that I know little about other than intuition, what is on their profile and written references from other hosts. Through www.couchsurfing.com

I am very concerned letting them use my PC as they may download a virus or install a key logger. (Kapersky is installed and shows up under the guest identity on XP. But I think perhaps they could turn it off and bypass it?)

What would be the best way to allow them computer access?

1. Get an old PC for them to use? (if they are on my router can they access my other PC's personal information? If so how do I limit them from accessing my PC info?)

2. Install a software program like used at a Internet Cafe?

Any other ideas?

Kind Thanks! :)

2. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

If they have private access to your PC there is very little you can do to stop malicious intent.

Put a password on BIOS(Not sure if this can be done by all).

Ensure you use a strong password on your account.

Remove removable media drives.

Let them use a different PC.

3. mrss

mrss Guest

There are a lot of things you can do, but if your guests are bent on stealing from you, they can defeat a BIOS password easily or get around your windows passwords and read your drives.

You might as well get an older PC, not too old though. I'd go with at least a Pentium P4 with 1GB memory. Then spend $40 on Acronis True Image and make a copy of the hard drive on an external USB drive. After the guest leaves, start Acronis and reload the drive. In an hour, it's ready for the next user.

Also consider setting up firewalls on your other PC's to block the above machine.

4. kiteboarder

kiteboarder Thread Starter

Thanks to both of you and that sounds like the ticket mrss! :)

Any detailed help with setting up a firewall to do this and which one to purchase that plays well with Kapersky AV would be totally appreciated!

Kind Thanks

5. SpyKiller112

SpyKiller112 Guest

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

MS has a free program called Windows SteadyState. It basically locks down your PC so guest can't change anything, install programs etc.

But you'll still need to firewall your other PCs. Comodo is a very good free firewall. But I don't know how well it co-exists with Kaspersky.

7. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/750736

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice