1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Best printer to buy?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mrtc1956, Apr 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mrtc1956

mrtc1956 Thread Starter

I am using a Mac (Yosemite OS 10) and a Xerox Phaser 6360-DN to print an in-house brochure. The brochure is full color, double-sided, each page has a full page (8x10), high res photo on it. Photos can be 20-40 MB's each. Total pages-75, printing 10 per month. The Phaser 6360 has been fine but need to upgrade. I want to stick with laser BUT am hearing that an inkjet is better for photos. Cost of supplies doesn't matter to me. Must be able to put a few different stocks through the manual feed (usually no problem) and must be able to crank out top color photos at 100 at a time. Pages that need to dry won't work. Isn't laser ultimately better suited to this?

2. CleaverX

CleaverX

Not what you are looking for but at least you should consider sending the job to a commercial printer.
    Page per page it might just be cheaper and you would be assured of good quality. Inkjet printers are not really suited for production work, and laser and solid ink printers can be expensive especially since you need to print on both sides.

3. mrtc1956

mrtc1956 Thread Starter

Thank you SO much - for validating my intuition that laser is the way to go! Finally! Most people I talk to don't realize the quantity and ink coverage that I am printing, so their automatic response is inkjet. I realize that what you are saying is correct though - that ideally it should be printed by a commercial printer. The problem is that we need to customize many of the brochures so the images may change.
    That said, I was torn between the Phaser 6700 and the Color Cube but after seeing samples, I am convinced that the 6700 is the way to go for what I need to produce.
    Thanks so much.

4. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Bit late to the party. But have you looked at the ColorQube line of printers from Xerox? These printers are not really lasers and definitely not inkjets. The ColorQubes use solid ink technology. The inks look sort of like large crayon sticks. I had an old Phaser 8560MFP/D printer that used solid ink and currently own a ColorQube 8700/X. The print quality from these printers resemble print production. The colors really pop out at you and look like magazine pages. But color laser printers have come a long way though. In the past, color lasers had a dull lifeless look to them. But my Lexmark CX510 is no slouch in the color prints it does.

To keep from rambling too much, if you're interested in getting deeper into either printer I brought up, let me know.

But if you really want the creme of the crop in color printer there's always dye sublimation.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146748

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice