1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Best programs for ENLARGING photos?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by BigDaveinNJ, Feb 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BigDaveinNJ

BigDaveinNJ Thread Starter

I pretty much use IRFANVIEW for everything, including cropping, reducing etc... Are there any programs out there that are any better? I notice many of them use the same types of FILTERS.. such as Mitchell, B-Spline, Bell etc..

Are they all pretty much the same or are there other programs to consider?

Thank You

DAVID

2. buck52

buck52 Banned

Howdy BigDave...

what are you trying to do? other than just upsizing...Irfanview will do all you need for the most part.

post a picture that you are not happy with what Irfanview did...

buck

3. slipe

slipe

The Lanczos filter in Irfanview is probably your best filter for most work. There are specialized programs that have filters some people find a little better than Lanczos. Genuine Fractals is popular as is QImage.

4. photolady

photolady

It will also depend on how small the photo is you are trying to resize. Most photos won't enlarge bigger than double their size without problems, blurry images. I get around this by using a film scanner, that way I can enlarge any 35mm slide or film to approximately, 13x19.

5. BigDaveinNJ

BigDaveinNJ Thread Starter

Thanks guys... I do like IRFANVIEW... I just thought there might be something out there a little bit better. PHOTOLADY.... you are correct. You can only enlarge a photo so much, before it begins to affect its quality.

DAVID :)

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    if you use Genuine Fractals you can upsize considerably

7. slipe

slipe

You can upsize considerably with Lanczos and bicubic too if you don't mind soft images. Genuine Fractals is just a slight improvement. QImage has a filter that is claimed to be a little better and I personally slightly prefer stair interpolation (SI) to Genuine Fractals. None of them let you enlarge much more than any other though for a given standard of output. If you increase the size 4X you are going to get a soft image and it is hard to tell one method from another except for very close inspection.

8. lister

lister

Also - to add to Slipe's advice - The generally accepted method of enlarging images (in Photoshop - no reason to suppose Irfanview would be any different) is to enlarge in 10% increments, not all in one go (& don't save and reopen each time if it's a jpeg).

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!