1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Best protection w/o Zone Alarm for my wireless

Discussion in 'Networking' started by stingray_on, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stingray_on

stingray_on Thread Starter

Unfortunately, I removed my Zone Alarm from my desktop and laptop because it was interfering with the sharing of the printer. I had the free ZA version and after many configurations and online help , i gave up.

So, how can I get some protection on my wireless? I added a password to both computers. I know that XP has a firewire built in its system. And I heard on some techtv shows that the router has protection built In.

What the best way to go with this for my modest home wireless network?

2. 10forcash

10forcash

Firstly, are you sure you removed it???
    Had several problems with clients PC's where zonealarm was 'removed' but still blocked ports, found the best way was to reinstall, set everything to 'off' or 'low' then uninstall. If you're struggling with zonealarm, then outpost or similar out of the 'free' stable will probably give you a seizure.
    Cough up some dosh and get norton internet security, not sure, (cos I use hardware firewalls) but it may be available as a free evaluation download.
    Don't bother with the XP firewall, its a pile o' $hite, depending on your router, it may give you the best protection anyway (providing you have antivirus and run both adaware & spybot s&d regularly)
    Cheers,
    10forcash
    [edited for 'df' alcohol induced spelling] ;)

3. stingray_on

stingray_on Thread Starter

Thanks for the response, btw the router I use is netgear. And I use norton antivirus software.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!