Best RAID setup for writing huge streams of data to fast

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

spudy12

What would be the best raid setup for writing huge streams of data to coming from high specs cameras ect?
Cost is not a problem here, so can anyone recommend a motherboard or card to use and what version of raid would be best?

I'm not to worried about redundancy but it could be nice, important thing is being able to write nearly 300mb/s of data.

i know i have asked alot of questions about raid recently but they are all for separate prohjects btw! ;)

Many thanks

Spud

could get a raid card for 4 large 6gb/s Terabyte drives [dont know many sata iii raid cards] on a z68 motherboard raid 0, could do 1 0 for redudency. 2tb drives seem unreliable in my eyes
i believe with the z68 you can use a solid state drive as a hard drive cache, for frequently used *things* but you might need someone to second that theory
i should think you would need an i7 processor due to so much raw data. i think 4gb ram should be enough

crjdriver

If you want 300mps, 4 raptors in raid0 should get close to that speed. Otherwise you are going to have to go with ssd. Two of these ssd drives in raid0 will give you 400+
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227590

Do understand that ssd drives in raid do have some issues. TRIM is inop when the drives are in raid so you would have to periodically break the array, secure erase the drives, recreate the array then restore an image.

I always recommend that if you really must have raid, then buy a real raid card like a promise or highpoint card.

Here is an example of a decent pci-e controller card.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816115027

spudy12

Okay so you recommend against SSD's? Im not to keen on them myself as they seem to have to many problems as of yet!

Yes I would go for 4 Raptors as these sounds best suited accept they don't give me enough storage space. Are there any fast 1tb drives out there? I agree 2Tb drives are un reliable as of yet. (Had 2 fail on me already!)

I would go for a good raid card of corse, but can you recommend one that supports SATA 6gb/s?

Thanks for your quick replies

Spud

crjdriver

Actually I highly recommend a ssd drive. I have one and it is the biggest boot to performance you can do to a system. It is just that ssd drives are cutting edge right now and drivers/controllers will have to mature before TRIM is supported in raid.

I do not know of any 6gig controller cards now however you do understand that NO mech drive even comes close to sata 1 speeds. The highest you are going to get out a mech drive is around 100mps; not even close to sata 1 speed.

Do be aware that 4 raptors are going to sound like a hair dryer. I used to have 2 in raid0 and they were pretty loud; 4 is really going to make some noise. BTW a single ssd blows away the 2 raptors in raid0; no comparison on speed. The ssd just leaves the 2 raptors in the dust.

Honestly I would think the limiting factor would be the interface between the camera and the computer ie usb or firewire. Having the fastest raid array is not really going to make any difference when it is slowed down by the usb connection.

If cost is not really an option, have you considered a direct-to-drive capture system.
A system like this allows you to capture directly to CF card,
then just transfer the files to your editing system.
The community TV station I work at uses a similar setup, and we have no trouble capturing 1080p50.
If you're really worried about HDD's though, SATA2 has enough throughput speed to capture HD vid,
you just have to ensure they are 7200rpm drives.

spudy12

I would go for SSD's but they do not offer enough capacity. The cameras are not normal camera's they are used for filming laser & optical imaging. They use Ethernet 1000mbs and there is 3 of them for the experiment. They film at 50 - 300? (i think) FPS. I think the idea of a SSD as a buffer / cache sounds good but is this theory correct?

Thanks for all your replies guys! Very helpful!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online