1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Best Ram for Mobo ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by deanr, Sep 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. deanr

deanr Thread Starter

Hi Guys ! + Gals ! Going 2 buy or upgrade my RAM. Got 512mb of SDRAM 133mhz now+ like to get best ram 4 puter. Thinkn KINGSTON DDR 512 ? Think puters mobo can only handle 266mhz. Any thoughts or hints ? Thx ALL Dean :)

2. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

all you can go by is what is in the mb documentation of what it can support.

i'd imagine it's all got to be the same type. :cool:

3. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

I would say most likely you can only use the PC133 SDRAM, and probably not much more then the 512mb...
    Post your MOBO model and we can tell you exactly what you can use.

4. bobcoolos

bobcoolos

You can not put faster or larger RAM then what it says in your mother boad documentation. You may be able to put slower in and the north bridge may or may or sync them. But if it does will most likly bring the higher speed stick down. Same brand/size/speed is reccemended.

5. deanr

deanr Thread Starter

Hola Guyz or Galz! Ya so i`ve got "Socket A" which supports 266mhz Frontside bus,two 184-pin DIMM slots for DDR,support for 100/133 MHz memory bus.Chipset is VIA KM266 Northbridge + VT8235 Southbridge. Hope this clarifies things ? This Mobo goes both ways - SDRAM + DDR ! Whats the best i can get out of this mobo in relation to RAM ? Thx for help thus far Folks ! Dean :)

6. techno_lust

techno_lust

Dean, take it from someone who has been there. Don't waste you money trying to squeeze out any more performance from this motherboard. Start looking toward the future. The specs on that mobo are antique now.

7. obvious

obvious

seconded. GET RID OF THAT MOBO!!!!!!!!

8. win2kpro

win2kpro

Dean, what operating system are you running?

9. chain_metal

chain_metal Banned

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/395672

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice