1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Best RAM?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Maggz, Apr 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Maggz

Maggz Thread Starter

I have an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe mobo w/ an AMD 3000+ 333FSB. What is the best RAM I can utilize at full potential?

2. n2gun

n2gun

PC2700 is what is the board will handle. Also you should get 2 sticks of identical memory as this will also give you an addition 10 to 15 percent additional increase in efficiency.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can get 2 sticks of PC3200 or higher and run that in Dual-Channel. With the A7N8X-E you can set the RAM frequency independently from the CPU FSB. Anything above PC3200 will only help if you overclock the RAM. HyperX and Corsair make good Dual Channel RAM kits.

4. Maggz

Maggz Thread Starter

Currently I run 2 sticks of Corsair DDR400 RAM. How do I make certain their running in dual channel?

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    On boot up it says "Dual Channel Mode". Also one stick has to be in the "B1" slot and the other in an "A" slot for dual channel to work.

6. Maggz

Maggz Thread Starter

I never realized they were labeled... is there any example for the ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe?

7. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

As far as brands go, Corsair XMS CL2 is the best. Obviously it is pretty pricey so you might want to get their Value Saver label or Samsung or Micron. Stay away from heavily advertised brands like Kingston, SimpleTech, Viking... Yes they work (all memory will work) but for what they cost they are not worth it. You can usually find one of the three listed for the same price. Memory prices are due to come down in a few weeks so watch for pricing ;)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219304

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice