Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Best ready-to-go CPU and motherboard for Win 7 Home 64-bit?

2K views 42 replies 7 participants last post by  Veedras 
#1 ·
I bought a CoolerMaster Storm Trooper case some years ago, to do a custom build for XP Pro, but never got to it. I would like to re-purpose it for Win 7. Anyone know which CPU and motherboard is the best choice for this OS, and already supported? I don't want to have to fool with stuff like this:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11182/how-to-get-ryzen-working-on-windows-7-x64

I'd rather go with legacy components, but would want the fastest and most powerful I can get. Any recommendations?

#2 ·
Why not just go with current hardware and Win10?

The best pricing and support will be with new hardware. Having said that, it's hard to recommend older hardware in a situation like this as we don't know what's even available, or available at a decent price, or available at a price that you are willing to spend on old stock or used hardware.

#3 ·
Why not just go with current hardware and Win10?

The best pricing and support will be with new hardware. Having said that, it's hard to recommend older hardware in a situation like this as we don't know what's even available, or available at a decent price, or available at a price that you are willing to spend on old stock or used hardware.
Before I pay a recycler to haul off this gawd-awful expensive computer case, and eat the loss, I intend to make sure it cannot actually be used for nearly the purpose I originally bought it for. Win 8 or 10 is not, and never will be, considered an acceptable OS. Win 7 will be the final M$ rendition I use, before I make the jump to MX Linux.

I prefer to do my own shopping, so there is no need for anyone to "know what's even available, or available at a decent price, or available at a price that you are willing to spend on old stock or used hardware". Just tell me what to look for.....I will worry about tracking it down, and whether I can afford it. The question was which CPU and motherboard is the best choice for Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit, and 'best choice' can be inferred to mean having native support, and all necessary drivers. In general, I'd be looking for a motherboard with minimum 16GB RAM capacity, the more expansion slots and SATA connectors the better, at least four USB 2.0 ports, eSATA if possible, and a VGA port is required.

This build will be used for surfing the net, streaming movies from sites like putlocker, possible video coding/editing, Photoshop or GIMP, maybe messing with Virtualbox, Word 2003, printing to my B&W laser and color inkjet, and regular use of Linux LiveCDs (exploring the Darknet via Kodachi and TAILS is a hobby).

From what I've read, the CPU would have to be an i7 (or AMD equivalent), and apparently the 'latest&greatest' junk does not play nice with Win 7 without extreme effort, according to a Reddit post:

"If you want to screw around you can make newer CPUs work. You would have to manually install drivers, and you would need a PS/2 keyboard to install windows."

Which is the sort of irritation I'm not inclined to fool with. That poster also mentioned "Skylake, (Intel's 6000 series) was the last generation to officially support windows 7, making the i7-6700k the fastest consumer CPU to officially support windows 7." I assume this is accurate, which makes the i7-6700k an option. Any others?

#6 ·
Before I pay a recycler to haul off this gawd-awful expensive computer case, and eat the loss, I intend to make sure it cannot actually be used for nearly the purpose I originally bought it for.
The case can be used for this and any future builds. I don't even understand that argument. I've used the same case for my last 4 builds.

I prefer to do my own shopping, so there is no need for anyone to "know what's even available, or available at a decent price, or available at a price that you are willing to spend on old stock or used hardware". Just tell me what to look for.....I will worry about tracking it down, and whether I can afford it
What's the point of me or anyone providing a list of hardware which isn't available, may only be available used or at a cost that you won't spend? That's a waste of my time and yours.

Having said that, the system that I just replaced was an Intel i7-6700k (4.0ghz) on a ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming Z170 K4, which does support Win7.

This build will be used for surfing the net,
Not the best idea using an OS that is no longer patched nor supported.

Good luck.

#4 ·
I'd rather go with legacy components, but would want the fastest and most powerful I can get. Any recommendations?
Going that route, you might end up spending more money going retro/legacy hardware then modern/current hardware.

Why the importance of running windows 7? It's no longer supported....at all.

I would just go with new hardware and use your case and buy windows 10/

#5 ·
#7 ·
Going that route, you might end up spending more money going retro/legacy hardware then modern/current hardware.

Why the importance of running windows 7? It's no longer supported....at all.

I would just go with new hardware and use your case and buy windows 10/
And if I was interested in saving money, I would likely junk this case, buy some crapo prebuilt computer at BestBuy or Walmart, with everyone's darling (Win 10) ready to go, and call it a day.

Because Win 7 is kinda/sorta acceptable to me as an XP Pro expat, while the gawd-awful Win8/10 renditions are not! Never was. Never will be. Win 7 is the end of the line for MS renditions. I don't like it, but Win 7 will do until I can transition to MX Linux, and since I dislike it less than I detest Win 10, this is what's happening.

And the next build you do, feel free to go with the 'lastest&greatest' hardware and OS available...but this is my build, and as the title clearly says:
Best ready-to-go CPU and motherboard for Win 7 Home 64-bit?

#8 ·
The 6th gen Skylake CPUs were introduced in 2015 and were supported by Win7, that support was ended by MS on 14 Jan 2020. They will work, just not officially supported by MS.

So I would suggest find the CPU you want to use, then a motherboard that supports it. RAM etc will be dependant on the motherboard.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3183583/microsoft-will-kill-some-windows-7-and-81-support-in-april.html#:~:text=Microsoft has now extended Skylake,through January 10, 2023."&text=Microsoft has said that Dell,life for Win7 and 8.1.
Thanks for the info! After looking into it, I think to avoid any sort of irritation from tedious workarounds, I will be going with an i7, third to fifth generation (or AMD equivalent). I would welcome suggestions on the best options within that range of CPUs.

#10 ·
If you are going to be doing a good amount of video editing then I would suggest getting the fastest i7 you can and a good chunk of RAM, this will help reduce processing / rendering times. If that speed it works at isn't important then drop down the speed, maybe drop to i5 etc.

I would definitely recommend not using this PC for anything to do with personal data etc. Win7 will become increasingly more vulnerable as time go on 👍

#9 ·
The case can be used for this and any future builds. I don't even understand that argument. I've used the same case for my last 4 builds.

What's the point of me or anyone providing a list of hardware which isn't available, may only be available used or at a cost that you won't spend? That's a waste of my time and yours.

Having said that, the system that I just replaced was an Intel i7-6700k (4.0ghz) on a ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming Z170 K4, which does support Win7.

Not the best idea using an OS that is no longer patched nor supported.

Good luck.
" I don't even understand that argument. I've used the same case for my last 4 builds."

It's simple. This case has been collecting dust for years. Either I use it soon, or it goes to the recycler. I'm tired of it taking up space.

"What's the point of me or anyone providing a list of hardware which isn't available, may only be available used or at a cost that you won't spend?"

Firstly, I have already said this will be a legacy build, which pretty much means used components. Secondly, if you require a price constraint that badly, how about I would be unlikely to pay more than $300 per component? Thirdly, just because a part is unavailable to you, does not mean I cannot track it down. Lastly, let's get real. You have zero intention of helping me do a Win 7 build. Why pretend otherwise? The only real question is what would a Win 10 fan be doing in a Win 7 post; well, other than futilely proselytizing for Win 10? I assure you that this really and truely is a Win 7 build....it will be staying a Win 7 build...so if that is your motivation, you're already wasting your time.

#11 · (Edited)
Linux user here, so I'm no Win10 fanboy.

Your question and objective is unusual in a help forum like TSG.
You've gotten replies that don't help, but are wise.

For a custom legacy build using the best of out dated hardware and an unsupported operating system, I do wonder why.
It will never be the best or the fastest. Nor economical. You'll always be locked into an outdated and unsupported system that will be a likely malware/virus magnet on the Internet .

A thought.
Build it with the latest and greatest hardware, install Win 10Pro (edit: or even a distribution of Linux) and run Win7 virtually.

Or:

For an on the cheap build, buy a refurbished computer with specs similar to your desires, and Win 7.......and move the guts into your 'new' case.

And never go on the Internet with Win7 ..................Unless you think you are very lucky ;)

#13 ·
Our definition of "wise" differs greatly, but you're on target with "replies that don't help". My definition of wise is if you see a post title you don't like, you ignore that post, and move on to the next post which you might like better. My definition of wise is if you decide to answer a post, you actually answer the actual question that was actually asked, instead of answering every possible question that was not asked, or answering the question the voices in your heard are telling you the OP really meant to ask. As said, our definition of "wise" differs greatly. You know, even though I detest Win 10, whenever I see a post from a user, I somehow manage to avoid answering that post (by not answering that post!) with a lot of anti Win 10 blather. Perhaps my position on the autism spectrum blinds me to the wonderful opportunities of dissing Win 10, and irritating its adulators?

It may perhaps be quite shocking, but not everyone cares about the 'latest&greatest&biggest&bestest'. Some are actually willing to pay for exactly what we want, instead of what the corporations, government, or herd of control freaks desperately want us to want....kinda like gamers are more than happy to spends thousands of dollars on the 'latest&greatest&biggest&bestest', to help Laura Croft be a graverobber. Only not quite.

I currently have an XP Pro rig. I'm using it right now. Is that shocking? Then you better sit down and fasten your seat belt. I have been using this second-hand OptiPlex 960 rig for the past 3+ years to surf the net, with zero malware. That's 5000+ hours with no viruses, rootkits, trojans, etc. How do I know that? Because once a year I have a taxi haul this PC into the computer shop for a full-on malware scan. I did that when I first bought this PC off eBay, and every year since. That's $125 a shot, for three times now, with zero malware found. XP Pro has been EOL/EOS since 2014, and for the last year or two the only browsers that work are Mypal, Centaury, and Firefox 52.9 (none of which are very up-to-date). So where are all those bigtime malwares promised/threatened by M$, and its army of volunteer parrots? After 5000+ hours of surfing everywhere, still not on my rig. Am I "very lucky" or is the threat just overhyped, like so much else is these days? Needless to say, this EOL/EOS and outdated browser prattle does not impress me. Maybe if my yearly $125 expense actually starts buying something, I'll change my opinion. Maybe if Win 7 proves to be less bulletproof than my XP Pro is, I'll change my opinion. Maybe, but I'll not be holding my breath.

"For an on the cheap build, buy a refurbished computer with specs similar to your desires, and Win 7.......and move the guts into your 'new' case."

Doing a custom build is about getting "the best of out dated hardware", and exactly what I want....not about settling for whatever cheapo "guts" I can salvage from a Dell or HP. And why would I even want to do this? If I'm going to buy a refurbished computer, why would I want to increase the expense by having the computer shop transfer its lowrent guts into a gawd-awful pricey case? What would be the point, other than to give me an excuse to keep the Cooler Master? I'd still have to pay $80 for the recycler to haul off the old case. I might as well keep the refurbished computer as is, and pay $80 to ditch the Storm Trooper. I'd still be bleeding money, but not even getting what I wanted. I'll pass. Here's a wild thought...instead of wasting time on thinking up these fanciful alternatives to what I want to do, how about putting all your brainpower into helping me do what I want to do...if only as a change of paste from the usual modus operandi?

#21 ·
A reminder to all that this is not a debate thread and it states in the rules:
Please refrain from making suggestions that are not relevant to the question asked
When someone is asking for help with a specific issue is can be very frustrating to read all kinds of suggestions about why and how they should do other things. While it's fine to perhaps ask if they're sure this is what they want to do because there are potentially other more viable options (which can be subjective), those suggestions should also be accompanied by recommendations that actually do address their original request.

Please let's get back to the issue at hand and if you have nothing to offer within the guidelines set forward above then it's best to move on to the next person needing help.

Thanks for understanding.

#24 ·
In regards my Win 7 build, I'll update the progress as follows. I have decided on the i7-4790k CPU. Motherboards under consideration are:

MSI Z97 Gaming 5

MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming

MSI Z97-GD65 Gaming

MSI Z97 GuardPro

MSI Z87-G55

MSI Z97A Gaming 6

Asus Maximus VII Hero

Asus Z97-Pro

If anyone has a 'pick of the litter', or think I should look at another model, do tell.

#26 ·
To be perfectly honest they are all fairly similar, just some specific feature differences here and there so would ultimately be down to your preference around those features.

For example, the Z97 GuardPro support AMD Crossfire for Dual GPUs, whereas the Z97 GD65 Gaming support AMD Crossfire and NVidia SLI. If you are not looking to utilise dual GPUs then it wouldn;t really matter in this example (there are other minor differences).

MSI and Asus are both good manufacturers.

#27 ·
To be perfectly honest they are all fairly similar, just some specific feature differences here and there so would ultimately be down to your preference around those features.

For example, the Z97 GuardPro support AMD Crossfire for Dual GPUs, whereas the Z97 GD65 Gaming support AMD Crossfire and NVidia SLI. If you are not looking to utilise dual GPUs then it wouldn;t really matter in this example (there are other minor differences).

MSI and Asus are both good manufacturers.
I have since whittled down the motherboards to:

MSI Z97 Gaming 5
MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming
MSI Z97-GD65 Gaming
MSI Z97-G45
MSI Z97A Gaming 6

They look pretty much equal to me, so unless you have a favorite I should look at more closely, I'll likely just buy the first one that I find. I have started to research graphics cards, which looks like it will be a major pain. I require one that has an actual VGA port, as I do not want to fool with the connectors, adapters and gizmos to hook up a VGA plug to another sort of port. So far the only ones I have found are:

ASUS GeForce GTX 750 Ti DirectX 11 GTX750TI-OC-2
Palit GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) DirectX 11 NE5X56T01142-1041F

Is one better than the other? Are both single-slot? If you know of others, please advise. Also I've no idea how to figure out if a given graphics card is better than the onboard graphics (Intel® HD Graphics 4600). I have seen some complaining on various forums about buying a card worse than their onboard gpu. I'd like to avoid that.

#28 ·
I have since whittled down the motherboards to:

MSI Z97 Gaming 5
MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming
MSI Z97-GD65 Gaming
MSI Z97-G45
MSI Z97A Gaming 6

They look pretty much equal to me, so unless you have a favorite I should look at more closely, I'll likely just buy the first one that I find. I have started to research graphics cards, which looks like it will be a major pain. I require one that has an actual VGA port, as I do not want to fool with the connectors, adapters and gizmos to hook up a VGA plug to another sort of port. So far the only ones I have found are:

ASUS GeForce GTX 750 Ti DirectX 11 GTX750TI-OC-2
Palit GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) DirectX 11 NE5X56T01142-1041F

Is one better than the other? Are both single-slot? If you know of others, please advise. Also I've no idea how to figure out if a given graphics card is better than the onboard graphics (Intel® HD Graphics 4600). I have seen some complaining on various forums about buying a card worse than their onboard gpu. I'd like to avoid that.
There are only minor differences with the motherboard, any one should suffice.

As a general rule of thumb for NVidia GPUs the last two numbers are the important ones. So an x60 will be better than an x50. The first version is the series and if you are jumping 2 or more series the previous may not apply.

This is a useful site for comparing on paper specs for different GPUS: Compare Graphics cards (gpuboss.com)

Note this is a comparison of their advertised specs not a real world comparison.

There is a similar site for CPUs (forgot about this previously): Compare Cpus (cpuboss.com)

#32 ·
So the 2GB cards beat the 4GB ones? I would of never thought that, but then I don't know anything about graphics cards. Thanks for letting me know. So are the 750Ti and 560Ti cards a worthwhile upgrade from the onboad graphics of the i7-4790k CPU (Intel HD Graphics 4600)?
The RAM will have a bit of an impact, remember GPU boss is only looking at the GPU itself not the full card. However, in this instance the 4Gb cards are a significantly lower spec GPU and it is highly unlikely an extra 2Gb of RAM will make up for that shortfall.

For NVidia cards I would always recommend a minimum of an x60 (560, 660, 760, 860 etc) if you are going to want any amount of graphical performance.

#41 ·
Keep it all in one thread (y)
Case: CM Storm Trooper SGC-5000-KKN1

CPU: i7-4790k

Cooler: Noctua NH-D14

Motherboard*:
MSI Z97 Gaming 5
MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming
MSI Z97-GD65 Gaming
MSI Z97-G45
MSI Z97A Gaming 6

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X-series 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3-1600 CL9

Video card*: GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB or GeForce GTX 560 Ti

DVD burner: (Two) Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/AS

Storage:
(Two) WD Caviar Black 1TB 3.5 7200rpm
Crucial MX500 500GB SSD

Mobile rack: (Two) Syba SY-MRA55006

Power Supply: Seasonic Focus 650 W80+ Gold

*The motherboards and graphics cards all look to be about equal,so I will likely just buy the first ones I find.

I was hoping to do alternate parts list for an AMD-focused build for comparison, but so far as I can tell, only the Ryzen series can compete with the i7-4790k, and Ryzen requires various workarounds to make it work with Win 7, which I have no interest in doing, so I guess an AMD build is not in the cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.