1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Best Router for QoS Settings

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Rearden, Feb 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rearden

Rearden Banned Thread Starter

I'm looking for a good router, home or even Small Business, with good QoS settings. Right now I have the Linksys E3000, but I think I could do better. I want to prioritize VoIP traffic. I occasionally have issues with stuttering on calls.

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Did you check with your ISP for SNR issues?

Also what plan/speed do you have?

3. Rearden

I'm not familiar with the term "SNR". Internet speed is not the problem. I have good download and upload speeds. I verified VoIP quality settings with this link.

http://myspeed.visualware.com/indexvoip.php

Jitter is low. No packet loss. The problem is intermittent. If you have other tests I can run to troubleshoot the issue, I'm open to that as well.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    SNR is Signal to Noise Ratio. This will determine if one of your Upstream signals is having an issue.

Generally the Upstream SNR will cause voice quality issues with VoIP based phones.
    What is your data/speed plan?

5. Rearden

How do i test SNR? The problem is intermittent. Quality is good almost all of the time. If it were a constant issue, I would suspect the connection, but that's not the case. I need a utility to test for a problem at the moment I have an issue, or I need a router with good QoS settings. I appreciate your help in troubleshooting this.

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    SNR can be intermittent too. I just don't want to see you buy something you don't need. :)

What modem do you have? (you still didn't tell me your speed plan ;) what is the upload should be?)

7. deeh0013

deeh0013

Hi Rearden, this is Deeh from the Cisco small business group. It seems you've tried different troubleshooting steps for your concern. Just in case those steps don't work, I initially recommend the RV215W it has QOS capabilities. Check the link for more information. http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps12678/index.html By the way when do you plan to deploy this?

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    $160 MRSP... Like I said... make sure there are no signals first before buying a new router ;) :D

Check with your ISP. They should be able to check for SNR and if it's erratic.

9. Rearden

If my only recourse is to check with my ISP, then I'll live with the problem. I don't know how they'd be able to help if I said I have a problem a couple of times a week. My download and upload speeds are consistent, and the VoIP quality tests are good. If there's nothing I can do with my router, then I'll have to put up with it.

10. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    They should be able to see signal erraticness that would confirm your issue. Or you get someone that will blame your equipment first then themselves. Who is your ISP?

The other issue that can cause it is your upload bandwidth getting maxed out, then you would want to get VoIP traffic priority.

When you notice the issue, do ping google.com -t and see if you get any packet loss and/or if your ping time goes 200+ms

11. deeh0013

deeh0013

It seems you've checked with your ISP already. Have you picked a product for this concern yet? We could provide you with more information on different product lines we have so you'd have options to choose from. ^DV

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1091079

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice