1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

best router??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by philips5, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. philips5

philips5 Thread Starter

what is the best wireless router? protection and performance wise??
    sorry if this is the wrong forum

2. reezin14

reezin14

Are you looking for wireless ? If so G or N ? For G I recommend the linksys wrt54gl and for N d-links dir 655 xtreme N.

3. philips5

philips5 Thread Starter

yes, wireless. and what is g or n? sorry, not too familiar. i have a G netgear one now i thinkl..

4. reezin14

reezin14

N is the latest standard of wireless, it will give faster networking speeds and range than g. And g is what you probably have now and what pretty much everyone is using.

5. philips5

philips5 Thread Starter

which oen would be best for security? so that nothing could bypass it and so on?

6. reezin14

reezin14

Both would be sufficient as far as security, you just have to set it up.

7. dannyn

dannyn

n is faster than g. n is not supported by all computers. g is the older version. as for the security... g and n are just the type of wireless. security is in both of them basically the same way. in security you can choose different options. ie wep wpa. i am using an apple base station extreme.. it is very good. also very fast! it has g and n they are both supported. you can also use a usb port for a printer and a networked hard drive. i have had it about six months and i am really enjoying it.

8. philips5

philips5 Thread Starter

will the apple work with windows, or just apple/mac?

9. dannyn

dannyn

it will work with both... this isn't just a saying its tested... i use it every day for three pcs and two macs at my house currently. all the features work with both too. hard drive and printer... although there is a few tricks... nothing but a few setting... that makes them integrate very well. i had a lynksys before i had this and i am soo glad i have this now.

10. philips5

philips5 Thread Starter

i have a netgear router, and a netgear card in my computer. if i was to get one of these, i'd be required to change the card too right?

11. dannyn

dannyn

nope. the car will connect to a new router.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650176

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice