Best Screen Capture software for VCR to DVD conversions?

Kapustin Yar

Hey Gang,

I have many VHS tapes that I want to store on DVD's. Many of the tapes I want to copy have grainy images, foggy images, color bleeding images and squiggly lines on the top. What is the name of some software that can get rid of these problems so I can transfer them to DVD? I've tried Roxio EASY VHS to DVD Plus and it didn't work because it didn't help my picture. Any suggestions?

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Have you adjusted the VCR tracking ??
I use Adobe Premier Elements.
The squiggly lines can be usually fixed by resizing (enlarging - moving) the picture.
Some other picture improvements can be made but usually the original is the best you have.

Kapustin Yar

Have you adjusted the VCR tracking ??
I use Adobe Premier Elements.
The squiggly lines can be usually fixed by resizing (enlarging - moving) the picture.
Some other picture improvements can be made but usually the original is the best you have.
Will Adobe Premier Elements improve the quality of a videotape?

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Will Adobe Premier Elements improve the quality of a videotape?
NO ... It cannot improve the Resolution/Quality of the tape.
I did some really old Cowboy VHS tapes for a friend .....
His VHS Player only played the first show ... (or he did not know how to wade thru the tape menu.)
They were awful Gray. I was able to improve the Bright and Dark areas (exposure) of the film.

Hey Gang,

I have many VHS tapes that I want to store on DVD's. Many of the tapes I want to copy have grainy images, foggy images, color bleeding images and squiggly lines on the top. What is the name of some software that can get rid of these problems so I can transfer them to DVD? I've tried Roxio EASY VHS to DVD Plus and it didn't work because it didn't help my picture. Any suggestions?
Roxio Easy VHS to DVD plus is best as of my usability.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
How are you playing the tape to your computer ???
If you are already playing the VHS on your computer, I might try the free OBS to get a digital video file.
I use a USB capture device to get a digital video file from a tape.
It takes a video editor to modify the video .....
And a DVD authoring software to make the DVD.
Adobe Premier Elements can do both.
The video must be moved and enlarged a little to remove the Squiggly lines around the vertical sync ... (move them out of the picture)
You cannot get a better picture than the source .... (more resolution than the source)
But if the tapes are old .... The video can be edited to look better.
some old tapes I've done, I changed the Bright and Dark areas ...(Shadows/Highlights improving the exposure setting) .... edited out the lost sync areas ...etc....
DVDs are becoming obsolete .... I use a USB memory card nowadays.
Most new wide screen TVs can read and play a USB source.

texasbullet

Ramon
I record my VHS tapes to a DVD recorder and use DVD +\- RW discs which then I just capture them into my video editing software. I reuse the DVD again until I am done recording. I can't see any loss on the video quality. Make sure you record either on 1 hour mode or 2 hour mode depending the length of your VHS tapes. This won't work on copy protected videos.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online