1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Best security setup compatible with Windows 8?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by aSILENTfire, Dec 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aSILENTfire

aSILENTfire Thread Starter

I'm looking for a free antivirus and firewall that is compatible with Windows 8. I am currently running Avira, but I just found out that its not yet compatible with Windows 8! I previously used Comodo firewall but that caused a lot of compatibility issues.

I would like an AV that is good at detecting new viruses, (Avira only has 70.4% detection rate or new viruses), that is the most important thing, known viruses take a lower priority, removal is not an issue for me. I would like some kind of HIPS, but I would still like to hear about compatible antiviruses even if they don't have HIPS.

I am looking into making the default Windows firewall work, but in the meantime I would like to know what else is out there.

Any suggestions would be GREAT! v:D

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

What part of Windows Firewall are you trying to figure out ?

Windows' firewall is good, but it's outbound protection is SWITCHED OFF until you switch it on. See Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Windows Firewall with Advanced Security > Center Panel - Windows Firewall Properties > Each of 3 Profile Tabs > Outbound Protection > set to Block.

Then you need to make outbound firewall rules to allow programs to reach outbound. Like your antivirus has to reach out to fetch virus signature updates, Internet Explorer has to surf and Windows Update has to retrieve updates. However,Windows does not help and tell you which program is reaching outbound, you have to try all the EXE files that are in the program's folder to and test the signature update function to see if it works.

Windows Firewall with Advanced Security > Left Pane - select Outbound Rules > right pane - select New Rule > select Program - click Next > click Browse to locate the EXE file - click Next > select "Allow the Connection" - click Next > Checkmark all 3 profiles - click Next > Create a name for the rule - click Finish.

In case you don't know, Windows Defender in Windows 8 is the new name for MS Security Essentials. So you already have an on-board antivirus and antispyware.

3. aSILENTfire

aSILENTfire Thread Starter

Looks like I'm going with AVG for my antivirus, as it seems Windows Defender only detects known viruses from a database. As for the firewall I may go with Windows, but is there a good way to monitor what programs are using the network? It would be nice to have a widget thing always on the desktop with a list of programs and an activity log available.. sounds nice doesn't it?

4. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
  5. golafuzz

golafuzz

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083049

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice