1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Best server with minimum requirments

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mikeal5703, Nov 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeal5703

mikeal5703 Thread Starter

I'm not sure how to post outside of the operating systems so here i go,
    I'm looking for the best server operating system that i can put on a USB to install with minimum requirements to run and has a lot of good features such as ftp, torrents, file sharing between windows & mac...etc...anything else that i can explore would be great thanks

2. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

Well, that'd be Linux. Without question. I'm sitting here looking at an 8GB USB stick that contains OpenSUSE 11.4 (64 bit) which will boot any 64 bit PC-class computer (using intel or compatible 64 bit processor) and will do all the things you ask about and more. I use it to start dead computers so I can work on them.

3. PC509

PC509

As said above, a Linux Live installation on a USB stick would be ideal. All the apps that you want, plus you can run a minimal desktop manager to save on system resources. Easy to update, easy to use. I, too, run a USB drive with a Linux install to fix PC's (it's a multi-boot drive, with a Windows PE install as well for remote registry support and other cool stuff). I really don't think you could go wrong with a Linux OS on a USB drive in your case. I'm a huge Windows fanatic, but there are many cases where Linux is the best option: this is one of them.

Although, if you are already running Windows, you can look at PortableApps.com and get their suite. All the apps you'd want, but you already need a Windows install to start with.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!