Best software for self-employed, track expenses, etc?

bj nick

Retired teacher, going to be tutoring a bunch of kids, I'd like to know a good program for keeping track of all the details: expenses, earnings, etc, etc. so that I can easily keep up and be ready at tax time to get maximum deduction. Any suggestions appreciated.

Well, paid for ones are more likely to be kept up to date with tax regulation. In the UK, HMRC list self assessment software suppliers but won’t tell you which one is best - some have user forums where you get feedback

bj nick

Thank you for that. I did a little research and it seems like most of these offer far more than I will need. I don't need to send out a bunch of invoices and track them, etc etc. I just want to be able to quickly take out my phone and record my mileage, I spent $5 on this or that, etc.

You mentioned that you are tutoring - who do you bill for your time? If you are billing an organisation they will need an invoice to support them making a payment you for your time and expenses. Many of the tax software programs also have phone apps aimed at the smaller businesses and sole traders.

Microsoft have released a Excel template, based on money. Not sure if it's hit every region yet and I believe, though not 100% sure, you have to have an Office 365 subscription

bj nick

I do have Office 365......but what I said before about just recording gas mileage.....I realize I do need more functionality. I'll have as many as 8-12 different students, "tuition" coming from several different sources....it probably behooves me to get a decent paid program. Quicken is like $25/month which is too much. I will check out the suggestions above first: Money Plus, et al.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online