1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Best solution to a backup need

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by MastiffShack, Feb 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MastiffShack

MastiffShack Thread Starter

Besides my primary home computer, I have two laptops and a desk top that I'd like to backup to external storage attached to my primary system.

My primary is not a server, as such (e.g. no server platform in place), it is running Vista Business x64.

While my primary system is now backed up (everything) using the image backup solution provided by Vista Business, I'd like to backup my other systems (or should say - family's systems) to the same external device.

To do this backup would use my home network to the shared 1.5TB drive.

Are there any products which may be installed that performes the function of imaging the system to a backup medium across a home network? I know I'd have to create a boot disk for the system being backed up should a recovery be required, but I can transport my external drive to any of the other systems to direct connect then.

Thank you for any advise that may be available on this.

2. new tech guy

new tech guy

3. MastiffShack

MastiffShack Thread Starter

Thank you. Based on info provided and examination of the web site, this looks like a feasable product. I shall certainly consider it - especially after the recommendation. Just looking at the cost of the product now for three (4?) PCs.

Again, thank you for helping.

4. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

Take a look at Paragon, too. One Moderator rates their programs highly. Below is a list of alternatives. Not all may do specifically what you desire. I am not in a position to say.

{redoak}

Imaging and cloning programs- TSG, "Elvandil"- 1-09
    Free Drive Cloners/Imagers:
    Macrium Reflect
    Paragon Drive Backup Express
    Clonezilla (Bare-metal restoration from image)
    Partimage
    Dubaron Diskimage
    SystemRescueCD
    EaseUs Disk Copy (Copies disks or partitions)
    XXClone
    CloneZilla GParted LiveCD (Complete partitioning and drive imaging/restoration tools)
    Partition Saving
    PCI CloneMaxx
    Drive Image XML
    HDClone
    DriveClonerXP
    Self-Image
    copyr.dma (Copies disk with bad sectors for recovery)

Commercial Apps:
    Easy Image
    [email protected] Disk Image
    O&O DiskImage
    Acronis True Image Home
    Farstone Drive Clone (Drive image, snapshots, file/folder backups.)
    EAZ-FIX Professional and Easy Image
    Drive Snapshot
    ShadowProtect (Also online backups.)
    Keriver Image
    Avanquest Copy Commander
    Paragon Drive Backup
    NovaBackup
    R-Drive Image
    Norton Ghost
    HDClone Pro or Enterprise
    Terabyte Image for Windows
    Terabyte Image for DOS (can directly access FAT, FAT32, and NTFS partitions)
    Spotmau Disk Clone & Backup

5. Stoner

Stoner Banned

I second Acronis TrueImage for drive imaging.
    If you have a Maxtor/Seagate hard drive in your system, or even attached externally......there is a free version of Acronis that Maxtor/Seagate provides in their utility....Discwizard....that is limited to drive imaging.
    http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/discwizard

For data back ups, I've recently been using Syncback ( the free version ) which I like a lot. Easy to configure and very quick in backups.
    http://www.2brightsparks.com/downloads.html ( the free version is about halfway down the page )

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Just one question as I second the Acronis solution, have used it for years. Is the shared backup drive a NAS drive by chance?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/798314

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice