1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Best USB 2.0 Hub

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by l8nighter, Jan 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. l8nighter

l8nighter Thread Starter

I had almost decided to purchase a Belkin TetraHub USB 2.0 4-Port Hub (pt. # F5U231) when I found several reviews stating that there was a problem with the device overheating. I e-mailed Belkin to see if the problem had been corrected. They responded stating that the problem was resolved.

While I was waiting for the answer, I became interested in the Belkin Hi-Speed 2.0 7-Port Hub (pt. # F5U237). I have not found any negative comments about this one and there is still some doubt in my mind about the F5U231.

Which of these should I purchase, disregarding the extra three ports on the second one.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

My view on USB hubs is they're basically "cannon fodder" at the prices they sell for. If I have a problem with one, I pitch it. I've never used either of those units, so I can't say if they'd be connected to my system or living in my trash can. :D

One alternative I can suggest. If you are considering this for a desktop machine, I'd also consider a USB 2.0 PCI card instead of a hub. Some USB devices have problems when connected to a hub, so you can expand your USB ports with the expansion board and have direct connections to the USB controller. If you go that route, consider one with a NEC controller chip, since that's the one I've never had any problems with. Here's one for $8.99 + $5.99 shipping. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815124008

3. l8nighter

l8nighter Thread Starter

I have already installed a USB 2.0 PCI card. I will have a Photo Printer, Scanner and a couple of PDA's about 16 - 18 feet from from my computer. That is why I need a cable and hub.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can install two USB cards, no problem. :) You can also just pick up a longer cable or an extension...

5. norton850

norton850

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/433156

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice