Best USB Print server

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Steven715

Hello all i am after a print server not worryed if it is wireless or wierd that is not a problem! What i am wanting is that i can print straight to the server using the printer drivers on the computer and no aditional software if there is any out there. E,g like printing through the network to anouther computer and letting that do the printing thanks for any advice Steve
P.s it has to be usb as i already have a intel Parrale one chears agane

Steven715

Forgot to say i will be using a All in one printer is it possiable that i can still use the scanner through the print server. If i cant then that is not realey a problem would be nice to be able to use the whole thing through the server thanks agane

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
I can't really tell you which one is the best. I just use D-link for all my network needs. You are correct, your scanner will not work thru the network. You printer may not as well. If you printer is a GDI printer, it would require the printer to be hooked up to a computer to function properly. It will not work on a print server. What is the make and model of your printer.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
As pointed out above, there are many print servers that won't work with all-in-ones.

I was unfortunate enough to buy one that won't work with my HP OfficeJet G55.

Be sure to check. Mine is an Airlink, but the price was right. I hooked it up to my DeskJet 640C and that works just fine.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Also, I found a program that will allow you to use the scanner over the network (not sure if it will work thru a print server, but it works if the all in one is connected to one computer).

http://www.remote-scan.com/

Nothing will allow you to scan from an all in one to a print server. All remote scanning software requires a server side install in order to process. SOME All in ones however will work on a print server just for printing but your losing some of the functionality.

What i am wanting is that i can print straight to the server using the printer drivers on the computer and no aditional software
You will want to steer clear of the linksys print servers as your required to install some kind of "client" on the computer side. I tried to install a linksys USB print server and just point a standard TCP/IP port of the print server but it "forced" me to use its client software that puts in some propriatary port.

I like to stick with HP jetdirects when using print servers because they all allow standard TCP/IP port access without installing one lick of other software. Again though as Squashman said some printers in general won't support printing on a network and must be directly attached to a PC.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online