1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Best value entertainment laptop?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by technovice2013, Feb 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. technovice2013

technovice2013 Thread Starter

Hello there , I need to replace my previous laptop HP Pavilion dv6 2030sa which no longer works. I need advice on what to go for with similar or better performance abilities . Other than the usual day to day computer use , I watch a lot of catch-up TV and movies on my laptop , so I am searching for the best value entertainment laptop.....
    Done a lot of internet searching and I am :confused:

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    whats your budget ?

3. technovice2013

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    not much difference in those apart form 2gb of memory

the Intel Core i5-3210M @ 2.50GHz is better on a passmark performance - but not a lot in it

so the lenovo has a slightly better processor and 2gb more memory - but for basic usage , wont really see a lot of difference

based on what you are saying - would you want a larger screen to watch TV etc
    OR
    do you want to play bluray DVDs on the machine

maybe worth considering what you may want to do in the future

would you connect to a TV at all ?

heres a searchable CPU performance site http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

also i know staples often have some very good deals
    A fuji i5 with 6gb was about £430

5. technovice2013

Thank you for the link
    previous laptop had a 15.6 screen so I dont mind that , as that size screen means the laptop will likely be convenient to carry when travelling . not much bluray DVDs watching and always connect to the TV .
    I purchased the one I had from Staple in London as a matter of fact , my local staples does not have a lot of options unfortunately.
    So based on my needs what would you recommend?

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i dont think there is much in the graphics cards - again passmark rating 110 and 126,i would probably tend towards the lenovo
    but you may want to have a look at them and see if you like the keyboard layout etc

7. technovice2013

I meant what would you have recommeded other that the two I have narrowed down...

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i dont really - they change every few months - so not somethign I keep up with , when family friends or clients want a laptop , i simply review a few sites, currys, pcworld, staples and john lewis and see what the specs are like and then what options are available

express card slot
    firewire - if video camera needed
    USB 2 or USB 3 slots
    bluetooth
    Bluray
    HDMI output for TV
    screen resolution if required most are around 1366x768 - so if they want a much higher display

most have a webcam installed now

recently for family its then come down to the look of the item and also the layout of keyboard , or even more recently just the colour

then looking for any deals at the time

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090778

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice